Digital fonts for P2

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2001
      PPL

      At the request of a PPL member, a while back I posted a bit over a
      Book_Arts-L on digital typefaces that worked straight out of the can,
      i.e, did not need to be converted.

      These would include the Lanston Type Ltd series that was digitized
      from original master patterns of the Lanston Monotype Company's
      library, the Adobe multiple masters typefaces that can easily be
      configured with a simple software program that is included with the
      fonts, etc.

      I mentioned the relatively new face from W H Caslon & Co, Founder's
      Caslon (PPL member Justin Howe's foundry), that is available in true
      optical sizing. Fourteen differently sized fonts. Each size based on
      the original Caslon at that size. You want this.

      http://www.hwcaslon.com

      Well, I recently came across what may very well be the only digital
      typeface ever designed for letterpress printing with photopolymer
      plates. Rialto from dfType. Rialto was designed for the letterpress
      needs of the Austrian fine press, die Fischbackpresse. It is an
      interesting face also in that the roman and the italic are harmonized
      to each other. Quite beautiful. I've seen this printed letterpress.
      Which is why I hunted it down. You want this. A printed brochure is
      available direct from the dfType at their email address

      dftype@...

      This is also available in downloadable PDF form by searching Google.com
      with the keywoards "Rialto" and "dftype"

      A bit on die Fischbachpresse and Rialto can be found at

      http://www.druckschriften.de/Druckschriften2/Typo-Top-100/Schriften/df-type/df-type.html

      I've put the URLs to H W Caslon and dfType in the Bookmarks section for future
      reference.