Re: reporting back: vinager and water on polymer plates

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 2003
      hiroshi

      Any "quick drying" solvent, formulated as a plate wash or type wash,or
      even similar materials, such as pure printer's alcohol (1% water),
      will work. After I wipe plates, I immediately spray them with
      compressed air to additionally dry them out and get rid of any
      particulate matter (from the rag and accumulated paper lint).

      Press washes, and other slow drying solvents, should not be used to
      wipe "printing surfaces" (plates or type) as they leave an oily
      residue that will interfere with subsequent ink laydown.

      Most sheet photopolymer intended for letterpress is water-soluable.
      Don't know how useful experiments with soaking plates in liguids are.
      With any kind of solvent that contains water, you will probably see
      some kind of disintegration of the material.

      Gerald

      > a while back i asked about the compatibilities of blanket wash and
      polymer plates
      > we use - as my understanding was the polymers we use were water
      washed (as
      > opposed to alcohol?) and the wash was "aqueous" naphtha. the was was
      > recommended to us by other letterpress shop and a reputable local
      (and nationwide?)
      > ink supplier. of the replies, no one objected, i believe. any how,
      i accidently left the
      > wash on one polymer one overnight and it ate away. (oops.)... but
      what about the
      > effect of them on daily cleanup?
      >
      > with respect to vinegar vs water on how they would breakdown the
      polymer, from a
      > little dunking experiment yesterday, the results were about the same
      in the period of
      > about 20 min or so - with respect to how they would crumble with
      pressure. so it
      > looks like it's the water, not the acetic acid that's affecting?
      >
      > will a second (and multiple) dried polymer regain its original specs?
      >
      > thanks again for help,
      >
      > hiroshi
      >

      > [vinegar, vegetable oil, water, photo polymer plate, blanket wash,
      water based, how to
      > clean]
    • greenberry
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2003
        gerald, thanks again for an in depth response,

        now, as for the printer's alcohol, the little that i remember (it means "really little")
        from a chem class from years back, alcohol won't stay 1% water as soon as it's
        exposed to moisture??? ie, is there a special way to keep it away from moisture while
        maintaining the convenience and ease of its application? or would it make no
        noticeable difference with respect to the polymers (with a greater concentration of
        water in the solution)?

        one nice local letterpress man has told us recently in his elaborate multi hour lectures
        that there are two types of photo polymer plates, one that is washed by water and the
        other by alcohol. i've always knew of the water version. is alcohol version still
        susceptible to degradation by water like the water washed ones?

        thanks,

        hiroshi

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
          hiroshi

          Don't know about the hydration. I buy IPA 99 (99% Pure Isopropyl
          Alcohol) made by Hurst Graphics, distributed in LA by KellyPaper,
          among others. I only use it for post-printing purposes though. Don't
          actually use it for cleaning plates. KellyPaper also sells Alcohol
          Substitute (ingredients: 100% water) for about $10 a gallon. :-)

          At any rate, if the alcohol is in a solvent can, I suspect it will not
          draw as much water as your chem class might have indicated.

          Your nice local letterpress man is correct about the two different
          kinds of photopolymer. Most sheet photopolymer (as used in letterpress
          purposes) is water-washout. But more and more, even flexographic sheet
          photopolymer is water-washout. I can process flexographic plates
          (water-washout) in my processor simply by increasing the bath
          temperature and using water from a soft water conditioner. More of a
          market there than there is for letterpress!!! Liguid photopolymer
          and/or solvent-washout photopolymer are slowly becoming a thing of the
          past.

          Gerald