subject lines and thread content (was building up roller tracks)

  • michael babcock | interrobang
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2003
      hey folks.

      lots of salad dressing posts under the name of roller tracks.

      an archive benefits from subject lines coinciding with content.

      gerald? paul?

      peace, m
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 29, 2003
        michael

        I'd certainly have to agree. Let's keep subject lines and thread content a bit more pertinent to the concerns of the membership.

        For those members primarily interested in salad dressing, the most active salad dressing lists that I could find and direct you to are:

        http://listserv@.../archives/letpress.html

        Gerald

        > hey folks.
        >
        > lots of salad dressing posts under the name of roller tracks.
        >
        > an archive benefits from subject lines coinciding with content.
        >
        > gerald? paul?
        >
        > peace, m
      • Paul W Romaine
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 29, 2003
          Let me add my agreement to Gerald's and Michael's, and remind everyone
          that we're all of us busy, and sometimes that joke or bon mot
          might be better directed privately.

          Respectfully,
          Paul
          (Who is still reeling from this past weekend's APHA conference in
          NYC.)
        • greenberry
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 30, 2003
            a while back i asked about the compatibilities of blanket wash and polymer plates
            we use - as my understanding was the polymers we use were water washed (as
            opposed to alcohol?) and the wash was "aqueous" naphtha. the was was
            recommended to us by other letterpress shop and a reputable local (and nationwide?)
            ink supplier. of the replies, no one objected, i believe. any how, i accidently left the
            wash on one polymer one overnight and it ate away. (oops.)... but what about the
            effect of them on daily cleanup?

            with respect to vinegar vs water on how they would breakdown the polymer, from a
            little dunking experiment yesterday, the results were about the same in the period of
            about 20 min or so - with respect to how they would crumble with pressure. so it
            looks like it's the water, not the acetic acid that's affecting?

            will a second (and multiple) dried polymer regain its original specs?

            thanks again for help,

            hiroshi

            [vinegar, vegetable oil, water, photo polymer plate, blanket wash, water based, how to
            clean]
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 30, 2003
              hiroshi

              Any "quick drying" solvent, formulated as a plate wash or type wash,or
              even similar materials, such as pure printer's alcohol (1% water),
              will work. After I wipe plates, I immediately spray them with
              compressed air to additionally dry them out and get rid of any
              particulate matter (from the rag and accumulated paper lint).

              Press washes, and other slow drying solvents, should not be used to
              wipe "printing surfaces" (plates or type) as they leave an oily
              residue that will interfere with subsequent ink laydown.

              Most sheet photopolymer intended for letterpress is water-soluable.
              Don't know how useful experiments with soaking plates in liguids are.
              With any kind of solvent that contains water, you will probably see
              some kind of disintegration of the material.

              Gerald

              > a while back i asked about the compatibilities of blanket wash and
              polymer plates
              > we use - as my understanding was the polymers we use were water
              washed (as
              > opposed to alcohol?) and the wash was "aqueous" naphtha. the was was
              > recommended to us by other letterpress shop and a reputable local
              (and nationwide?)
              > ink supplier. of the replies, no one objected, i believe. any how,
              i accidently left the
              > wash on one polymer one overnight and it ate away. (oops.)... but
              what about the
              > effect of them on daily cleanup?
              >
              > with respect to vinegar vs water on how they would breakdown the
              polymer, from a
              > little dunking experiment yesterday, the results were about the same
              in the period of
              > about 20 min or so - with respect to how they would crumble with
              pressure. so it
              > looks like it's the water, not the acetic acid that's affecting?
              >
              > will a second (and multiple) dried polymer regain its original specs?
              >
              > thanks again for help,
              >
              > hiroshi
              >

              > [vinegar, vegetable oil, water, photo polymer plate, blanket wash,
              water based, how to
              > clean]
            • greenberry
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2003
                gerald, thanks again for an in depth response,

                now, as for the printer's alcohol, the little that i remember (it means "really little")
                from a chem class from years back, alcohol won't stay 1% water as soon as it's
                exposed to moisture??? ie, is there a special way to keep it away from moisture while
                maintaining the convenience and ease of its application? or would it make no
                noticeable difference with respect to the polymers (with a greater concentration of
                water in the solution)?

                one nice local letterpress man has told us recently in his elaborate multi hour lectures
                that there are two types of photo polymer plates, one that is washed by water and the
                other by alcohol. i've always knew of the water version. is alcohol version still
                susceptible to degradation by water like the water washed ones?

                thanks,

                hiroshi

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
                  hiroshi

                  Don't know about the hydration. I buy IPA 99 (99% Pure Isopropyl
                  Alcohol) made by Hurst Graphics, distributed in LA by KellyPaper,
                  among others. I only use it for post-printing purposes though. Don't
                  actually use it for cleaning plates. KellyPaper also sells Alcohol
                  Substitute (ingredients: 100% water) for about $10 a gallon. :-)

                  At any rate, if the alcohol is in a solvent can, I suspect it will not
                  draw as much water as your chem class might have indicated.

                  Your nice local letterpress man is correct about the two different
                  kinds of photopolymer. Most sheet photopolymer (as used in letterpress
                  purposes) is water-washout. But more and more, even flexographic sheet
                  photopolymer is water-washout. I can process flexographic plates
                  (water-washout) in my processor simply by increasing the bath
                  temperature and using water from a soft water conditioner. More of a
                  market there than there is for letterpress!!! Liguid photopolymer
                  and/or solvent-washout photopolymer are slowly becoming a thing of the
                  past.

                  Gerald