Re: [PPLetterpress] NuArc Rapid Printer vacuum pump

  • Silver MayKitten
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21, 2003
      First there should be two glass jars about thre size of small
      medicine bottles on the pump. wash them wityh two or three
      changes of mineral spirits. Fill one halfway with 20 wt.
      refrigerator or air tool oil; Screw it on the holder that is
      under the port marked "VAC." Screw the empty bottle on the port
      marked "EXH" for exhaust. The exhaust bottle will catch the oil
      coming out of the pump.

      Get an automotive brake vaccuum tester and attach the hose to
      the VAC port and turn on the pump. You should get a reading of
      at least 24" of vaccuum. If you don't get a vaccuum, send the
      pump to the manufacturer for a rebuild.

      MayKitten

      --- "Arie C. Koelewyn" <koelewyn@...> wrote:
      > Greetings to all. For my first post to the group I'll ask a
      > photopolymer newbie question...or two.
      >
      > I have just purchased a nuArc "Rapid Printer" platemaker that
      > has a
      > spare vacuum pump. I'm planning on converting this unit for
      > exposing
      > photopolymer by replacing the carbon arc lamp with a
      > non-florescent UV
      > lamp. Does this seem workable?
      >
      > Also, the motor of the spare pump (which is mounted on a
      > board with a
      > switch in the power cord) seems to run, but there doesn't
      > seem to be a
      > noticeable vacuum anywhere. What is the best way to test
      > this pump?
      > There are two large adjustment screws at the 10 and 2 o'clock
      > positions
      > on the shaft side of the pump. What are these for?
      >
      > Any pointers would be helpful. Thanks,
      >
      > ---Arie Koelewyn
      > The Paper Airplane Press
      > East Lansing, MI