plates

  • ausart1938
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2003
      I still haven't tried to make my own photopolymer plates as yet, too
      many other things to do. At present I am getting blocks made by a firm
      in Maitland NSW Australia. They do mainly rubber stamps, but I have
      found that their blocks are very good. Our show programme that I am
      preparing at the moment has some material that I will have done in
      photopolymer but all the text will be done on the C3 Intertype, Model
      48 Linotype and Ludlow. Typography!!! when I was younger in the days
      when letterpress was the way to print you made do with what founts
      that you had and you tried not to have too many magazine changes on
      the linecasters.
      At the museum at Gulgong NSW we have more founts for the linecasters
      than most commercial places had when I was working in the trade.
      I like to use the Lino/Ludlow/Hand set and blocks (we have 100 galleys
      of old blocks) People who come to the museum are amazed at how we put
      it all together. Photopolymer is good, but use your type faces wisely.
      Some printed work these days it seems as though they want to use all
      the founts that they have on their computer (yuk).
      Arthur at Gulgong Australia.