Posjet, bubblejets and photopolymers?

  • wayne@hiwire.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2001
      Just wondering if anyone had used this Posjet stuff as opposed to laser based negatives. It's basically a treated acetate that you feed through the
      bubblejet and the ink dries through oxidation/evaporation to a density of 3.8. They use it with a software RIP in a positive version for process colour
      screenprinting. Could you use this stuff with photopolymer plates? Would the definition of the bubblejet random scatter dots be compatible for type?
      Would this same random scatter style screening just be a dotgain nightmare once printing?

      With all the discussion about computer to plate, I was also wondering if an idea I had was worth investigating. Start with a standard A3 bubblejet. Source
      a dye based ink, I think they use it for barcoding (important so that the ink does not affect the surface of the plate as a water based ink would). Change
      the paper path to straight by removing/altering the feed tray and changing the carriage height. Feed a PP plate through under safelight conditions, wait for
      ink to dry. Use a kreene sheet and expose. Washout as normal with the added advantage of having a dyed non-relief image tas a visual reference for
      washout. Not sure whether the fact that there is no film base may affect the shoulder of the image. Does this sound feasible? Any comments most
      welcome

      Thanks
      Wayne
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 17, 2001
        Dear Wayne

        I don't think anything is infeasible. There are essentially two
        considerations.

        Type. Images.

        Type is rather restrictive in what you can do. The attempt is to
        render it exactly.

        Images. The sky's the limit.

        There is some amazing work being done with photopolymer in a variety
        of different printmaking appliciations.

        I've recently read some how-to articles by Strange Ross on Polymer
        Photogravure and Multitones, also on Digital Positives; Keith Howard
        on Intaglio-Type; George F Roberts on Polyester Plate Lithography. The
        movement has been toward non-toxic materials and photopolymer fits the
        bill. I think a lot of the various polyester lithographic plates are
        being run through the laser (even through the copy machine), why not
        the inkjet; Pronto, Omega E-Z, etc. The DuPont ImagOn plate sounds
        interesting, which is exposed through a protective Mylar film, that is
        subsequently removed for printing (lithography)

        A Google.com search on these folks and others will fill your basket
        with plenty and give you much to ponder. I'm sorting through it
        looking for the wee bit that I can transfer over.

        Nothing at this point will replace the "normative principles" that
        type rendering requires, but who knows what's out there?

        Let us know what you discover!

        Ger