Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Opinions on rubber-base ink (was: Building uproller tracks)

  • Zida Borcich
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2003
      What is MiceType, please, sir?

      Peter Fraterdeus wrote:

      > >Peter
      > >
      > >I was sent a couple of boxes of ink a while back, most of it
      > >Cardinal!!! Never bothered with it as I was after something else.
      > >Thanks for this. I'll have to try em out.
      >
      > Indeed. I'm hoping the cans I've got in storage will still be good when I finally get back to printing again!!
      >
      > >I miss "mice type," it opened up a new world to me.
      >
      > Thanks. It's funny how many people fondly remember MiceType...
      >
      > I've got the domain for it, but who knows if it will ever rise again...
      >
      > Thanks for keeping the fire burning on this list!
      >
      > Ciao
      >
      > pf
      >
      > >Gerald
      > >
      > >> Until Cardinal Colors in Chicago folded its tents, I used their
      > >(specially mixed) LP black. Almost had to chisel it out of the can it
      > >was so hard, and then work it up on the mixing plate for some time
      > >before inking the press. Great stuff for that four point mice type ;-)

      > --
      > AzByCx DwEvFu GtHsIr JqKpLo MnNmOl PkQjRi ShTgUf VeWdXc YbZa&@
      >
      > Peter Fraterdeus http://www.midsummernightstamps.com
      > http://www.fraterdeus.com |* + * + * + Rubber Stamp Fine Art!
      >
      > http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting < * > Mac OS X
      > "Words that work."(tm) Communication Design and Typography

      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > • Encountering problems? contact:
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > • To unsubscribe:

      STUDIO Z MENDOCINO
      Graphic Design & Fine Letterpress & Offset Printing
      Visit our fabulous new web site at
      http://www.studio-z.com
      Tel: 707.964.2522 Fax 707.964.0850
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 12, 2003
        Hi Zida!

        At 10:25 PM -0700 2003-10-11, Zida Borcich wrote:
        >What is MiceType, please, sir?

        Ah...

        MiceType was my "short-lived but influential" (can I say that??) little "Journal of Microcomputer Typographics" which had about five or six numbers in the late 1980s and early 90s.

        It was also a vehicle for showing my new type designs in a 'classical' format (The second and following numbers were set in my >Prospera< 'one of the very first Postscript typefaces created outside of Adobe Systems')

        Of course, the typeface was a fantastic commercial success... I think perhaps selling in the low hundreds over the last decade and a half ;-) (Total, not per year!)

        (Linotype has licensed the design, though. Maybe it takes 15 years for the market to mature!)

        By the way, it turns out that Prospera also works beautifully for letterpress work (at least from the mag plates I've used) due to the slender stems and long serifs. (shameless plug ;-)

        'mice type' of course, is tiny type. The name of the journal from the idea that the Postscript font is designed at an arbitrary scale of 1.000 and mathematically scaled in the rendering to whatever size you like. Ain't computers mahvelous?

        Ah, the memories of autumn ;-) (Damn - must be gettin' close to 50!)

        In fact, I have even further back memories of the magical powerful Mendocino Headlands, and the gorgeous Big River... It's been way too long!

        Ciao

        Peter
        BTW, there are a few examples of my designs (and revivals) still lingering at
        http://www.alphabets.com

        Peter Fraterdeus http://www.midsummernightstamps.com
        http://www.fraterdeus.com |* + * + * + Rubber Stamp Fine Art!

        http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting < * > Mac OS X
      • M a n i f e s t o P r e s s
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 12, 2003
          I have used a wide range of different inks over the last few years as I
          managed to acquire an entire ink room from a retired printer for $50
          (ka-ching!). Some of the inks are an absolute joy to use...primarily the
          older not-available-anymore cans. When the ink goes down just right it¹s
          kind of euphoric in an ink-geek kind of way.

          As for the ³perfection² and ink thing...do whatever you like, use any
          material you wish and experiment. It¹s sometimes nice to ignore the advice
          of others and give it a go without concern. Some of my favorite moments
          behind the press have occurred when the experimenting cap was on, and the
          rule book didn¹t have a page covering my idea.

          Rubber-base inks are great with the right paper. They suck with the wrong
          paper. I prefer to use oil-base for the quick drying times, but also hate
          them for their lack-of-tack.

          Blah-blah-blah

          Cheers,
          Bryan