Re: [PPLetterpress] Fine Printing (was Building up roller tracks)

  • Jessica Spring
    Message 1 of 61 , Oct 11, 2003
      WWUS? (What Would Updike Say?!)
      ³The real difficulty lies in what is meant by artistic printing. To my mind
      it means: printing as exactly and agreeably suited as possible to the object
      for which it is to be used--commercial printing being just as capable of
      possessing this excellence as any other variety. But most people, if they
      stopped to analyse, would find that they really meant by Œartistic printing¹
      something queer, dear, and not well adapted to daily use, delivered later
      than expected: and by Œcommercial¹ something commonplace, cheap, nasty, and
      done in a hurry. The truth is that the best presses do but one kind of work,
      which is neither solely commercial nor artistic, but both, i.e. good.²
      from Printing Types: Their History, Forms and Use

      --Jessica (former fan of Cardinal Colors with no stash left and current user
      of Daniel Smith inks)
    • E Roustom
      Message 61 of 61 , Oct 29, 2003
        > hmmm...
        > may be i'll dunk a piece of polymer into vinegar to see if it does anything...
        > (will
        > report back).

        Stop! the vinegar will eat the polymer right up. That's what one is to use
        when cleaning platemaking equipment. It just melts the stuff.

        e.