Re: [PPLetterpress] laser printer negs

    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 14, 2001
      Dear Brian

      Itty-bitty traces of toner dancing about outside the letterform. Like I said,
      needed this for CRC. Couldn't take the chance that "they" would reproduce. As
      it so happened, the publisher shifted over to a PDF requirement during the
      course of the book's pre-press prep. So it wouldn't have mattered.

      How's the Press doing?

      Gerald

      > gerald, what is 'toner scatter'?
      >
      > brian
    • Dr P.B. Watry
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 15, 2001

        Sorry I've been so quite on the PPLetterpress front, but I've been
        snowed under recently with work associated with my "proper job" so
        silent on all the fronts that are interesting.

        Yes, we do have a Xante Platemaker, but haven't used it to generate
        film/polymer plates. In general it works very well, but I wouldn't want
        to buy one expecting the highest quality for expensive deluxe editions.
        For student use, it is probably a cheap and convenient option.

        In any case, I can see the process going entirely digital which means
        that film would not be used in the workflow at all. Has anyone out there
        tried DuPont's Cyrel and Flexo? Alternatively, Barco Digital Flexo? I
        don't know if you can mount Flexo plates on magnetic bases. Probably an
        entirely digital workflow would produce more consistent output (e.g. no
        fogging or dust and more consistent and smaller dot gain). I would
        expect that the equipment prices might be prohibitive to all but the most lavishly
        funded...

        Anyway, I'd be interested in any comments.

        Cheers

        Best wishes

        Paul
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 16, 2001
          Dear Paul

          My next door neighbors use flexo. The Bag Ladies. They print bags for
          mall stores and the like. The plates (not steel-backed) are taped to
          the cylinder. Extremely crude set up but also quite efficient for what
          they need. A few years ago flexo polymer went to water washout. But
          you need soft water and higher than normal heat for washout. Just not
          the same animal as sheet letterpress.

          I suspect you are right, the directive is to eliminate film. What do
          you thing we have, ten years or so, more or less? Do you think they
          will ever do direct to steel-backed polymer?

          Ger

          --- In PPLetterpress@y..., "Dr P.B. Watry" <Pwatry@l...> wrote:
          > Gerald
          >
          > Sorry I've been so quite on the PPLetterpress front, but I've been
          > snowed under recently with work associated with my "proper job" so
          > silent on all the fronts that are interesting.
          >
          > Yes, we do have a Xante Platemaker, but haven't used it to generate
          > film/polymer plates. In general it works very well, but I wouldn't want
          > to buy one expecting the highest quality for expensive deluxe editions.
          > For student use, it is probably a cheap and convenient option.
          >
          > In any case, I can see the process going entirely digital which means
          > that film would not be used in the workflow at all. Has anyone out there
          > tried DuPont's Cyrel and Flexo? Alternatively, Barco Digital Flexo? I
          > don't know if you can mount Flexo plates on magnetic bases. Probably an
          > entirely digital workflow would produce more consistent output (e.g. no
          > fogging or dust and more consistent and smaller dot gain). I would
          > expect that the equipment prices might be prohibitive to all but the most lavishly
          > funded...
          >
          > Anyway, I'd be interested in any comments.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Best wishes
          >
          > Paul
        • Brian Molanphy
          Message 4 of 26 , May 11, 2002
            gerald,

            the press at colorado college has a filmstar 2 developer. the xante
            accel-a-writer 8300 (circa 1996) was upgraded, but does not have the power
            of a film maker 4, i expect. the system works ok for our undergraduates.
            after a year it has paid for itself in saving $12-15 per neg from the local
            service bureau.

            i wonder how someone could use the film star 2 developer fluid without the
            fim star 2 developer unit. the unit is nothing more than a basin for the
            fluid and two soft rollers, like wringers on an antique washing machine,
            that evenly squeegee excess fluid off the neg. it is overpriced. i suggest
            anyone interested buy first the agfa translucencies and the film star fluid
            (there are at least two kinds, get the one that suits your laser printer).
            see if you can't develop negs without the developer unit before dropping
            several hundred bucks for it.

            the developer fluid is nasty: 2-butoxyethanol. the laser printer and
            computer stuff is in the office/library, but the developer unit is out in
            the ventilated pressroom. with use, the clear, colorless liquid turns black,
            and eventually (100 negs per quart?) is no longer effective. i don't pass a
            neg thru the fluid anymore than three times, and usually at least twice. too
            often and the text begins to fill in.

            best, brian

            Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 19:40:42 +0000
            From: Gerald Lange <bieler@...>
            Subject: Xanté

            Xanté Corporation has recently sent to me some material on their FilmMaker 4
            laser printer and its accompanying FilmStar2 technology. The last time I
            looked at this combination I did not feel they were quite there yet. But I
            suspect they may now be as close as it is going to get.

            The FilmMaker 4 can generate at 2400dpi. Camera ready copy quality is
            1200dpi
            and the usual minimum for film negatives on imagesetters is 2400dpi. So in
            this regard Xanté has gone the full nine yards. I asked a technical support
            source there if there was thinking about going above this and he felt they
            would not as that is beyond current technical abilities of laser engines and
            there is no further call for b/w development compared to color.

            But what makes the FilmMaker interesting other than that it is a very high
            end
            laser printer is that it is capable of generating negatives. These negatives
            must undergo additional conditioning via the FilmStar2 technology, which is
            essentially a short chemical bath. Xanté does insist that only its film
            (actually made by Agfa) can be used for this system (also made by Agfa).

            The film is a matte with a somewhat cloudy transparency though Xanté has
            assumed me this will allow passage of UV in the same way that Kreene will.
            Since I have worked with similar negatives I believe this may be quite
            accurate. The film negatives they have provided look quite good. They do not
            have an emulsion side but that may not necessarily be a detriment as the
            toner
            itself (since the neg is not silver-based) has a certain capture quality.
            The
            normal minimum for opacity required of a silver-based negative is 3.5-4.0.
            The
            Xanté film is rendered at 2.2-3.5. The neg I examined does have an
            occasional
            pin hole but this is not anyway near as bad as some of the cheap
            silver-based
            negs I have worked with. The tech told me that some of their customers were
            increasing this density by running the neg through the FilmStar2 setup
            twice,
            boosting the density to 4.0.

            Will Xanté go further with this? Probably not. Will they advance their
            PlateMaker 3 system to water-washout photopolymer. Doubtful, though one of
            their color lasers does have the flat travel that would be required for
            this.

            The fully equipped FilmMaker 4 combo with add-ons costs about twice what you
            would pay for any other high end 1200dpi laser printer with add-ons. This is
            quite low compared to an imagesetter, but the question remains, as close as
            they may be - and there is a huge gap between the capabilities of a laser
            and
            an imagesetter - are they at a point where this would be of use to
            letterpress
            printers?

            Will this stuff work for our needs? I'm thinking it might in a number of
            situations, but I wonder about consistency. I know some folks on this list
            are
            using this combination. I'd be interested in knowing how successful it has
            been.

            Gerald
          • 9 Spotmonk Design
            Message 5 of 26 , May 12, 2002
              Hi Everyone,

              I'm new to the PPLetpress List.

              I have a Craftsman 6 x 10 and was wondering if anyone has experience
              with using/converting expandable trucks. Two main problems at hand: I
              need to lower the the noise the press makes when the rollers leave
              the rail and move to the inking plate and back; and my rollers are
              about 1/8 inch (the circumference) larger than my trucks. What I'm
              doing now is putting a piece of pressboard behind the chase but don't
              know if this is a good long term solution.

              Thanks in advance for your responses.

              Vivian

              Vivian Leung
              9 Spotmonk Design
              vivian@...
              T 201 795 1668
              C 201 925 3168

              <http://www.9spotmonk.com>
            • Katie Harper
              Message 6 of 26 , May 12, 2002
                I just tried an experiment with exposing a photopolymer plate with sunlight
                on a cloudy day. My instructions (from Solarplate) say to expose 5-7 minutes
                on an overcast day. The first exposure was at 5 mins and there was nothing
                on the plate. I increased exposure to about 8 mins. and got some bare
                detail, but it quickly washed out. I have tried these exposures in the past
                with mostly good luck. So this has me a bit stumped. I'm wondering if my
                plates might be old, and if aging plates require more exposure? I have no
                idea how old these plates are, but my guess would be that they are almost a
                year old, if that makes a difference. They are the type with a steel back.

                Katie Harper
                Cincinnati, OH
              • Ed Inman
                Message 7 of 26 , May 12, 2002
                  They don't sound so old to me--but I would suggest at least 8 min. under
                  direct sunlight. Overcast days are tricky--I gave up on using sunlight for
                  this very reason. My 750 watt setup of artificial light requires about 30
                  minutes to expose a plate well, but for me the consistency is worth it--I
                  just finished making a 100 lpi halftone from a B&W photo that when printed
                  onto glossy paper looks every bit as good as an offset or laser halftone to
                  me.
                  Ed
                • Katie Harper
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 12, 2002
                    Ed: Can you tell me more about your setup? How far do you have the bulb from
                    the glass for your exposures? Do you have three 250 watt bulbs?

                    Thanks.

                    Katie Harper
                    Ars Brevis Press
                    Cincinnati, OH
                    513-233-9588

                    > From: "Ed Inman" <edinman@...>
                    > Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 17:07:30 -0500
                    > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Aging plates?
                    >
                    > They don't sound so old to me--but I would suggest at least 8 min. under
                    > direct sunlight. Overcast days are tricky--I gave up on using sunlight for
                    > this very reason. My 750 watt setup of artificial light requires about 30
                    > minutes to expose a plate well, but for me the consistency is worth it--I
                    > just finished making a 100 lpi halftone from a B&W photo that when printed
                    > onto glossy paper looks every bit as good as an offset or laser halftone to
                    > me.
                    > Ed
                    >

                    > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
                    > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                    >
                    > Encountering problems?
                    > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

                  • Ed Inman
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 12, 2002
                      > Ed: Can you tell me more about your setup? How far do you have the bulb
                      from
                      > the glass for your exposures? Do you have three 250 watt bulbs?

                      No, it is a single photo/AV type lamp that fits in an old "Sun Gun" from the
                      60s for making movies indoors. Such lamps are available from places like
                      bulbman.com or topbulb.com. I also have a second mercury lamp that I can use
                      in conjunction with the main lamp--but it frankly doesn't seem to help much.
                      I do try to angle the lamp from different directions during the burning
                      process to give strength to the base of the artwork. This is primarily
                      important when you are burning small type--to help keep things like tiny
                      dots over i's from being broken off when washing out and/or printing.

                      The setup is basically just an old Argyle rail type process camera from the
                      70s which I use to both make the negatives and burn the plates. It was being
                      thrown out by a shop going digital. I put extra foam rubber padding under
                      the frame glass to keep the negative and polymer plate tight against each
                      other when burning the plate. I use the lamp about four feet from the frame
                      and the plate gets pretty hot. I get steel-backed plates from a local
                      rubber stamp company that start out green and turn clear orange when the
                      image is fully burned so you know they are ready. I think they are made by
                      Jet USA.

                      If you have room to set up a darkroom call around to various offset shops
                      and you may be able to find a similar camera for very cheap since most
                      offset shops are now direct-to-plate from computers. You can also get
                      Arista lith film and the necessary A&B type developer from
                      freestylecamera.com in California and it is much cheaper than what Kodak
                      sells--only about 41 cents a sheet in the 8 x 10 size and it works like a
                      charm.

                      Ed
                    • mark baisi
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 12, 2002
                        Hello Brian,
                        I have never seen the developer you are talking about. But physically it
                        sounds to me like an old pmt developer. Those are quite cheap now, any
                        chance one of those would work. I have never heard of this film and process
                        before and will definitly be looking into it up here(canada).
                        Mark

                        Message 11 of 26 , May 13, 2002
                          Ed Inman wrote:

                          > You expose polymer with 40 Watt lamps? What exposure times do you use with
                          > this setup, Joel? Are you referring to regular purple looking
                          > "blacklights?" I didn't think such a low wattage setup would work very well
                          > even with hours of exposure. Can you give us a product descritption as
                          > printed on the bulbs you use and a little more detail as to your process?
                          >
                          > For what it's worth my cheapo homemade lamp setup is just a Sylvania "Sun
                          > Gun" that uses a 650 watt "DWY" halogen photo optic lamp. The lamps come
                          > with a warning that the bulb emits UV radiation and that you should not look
                          > directly into the fixture. You can usually find these used on ebay for $10
                          > to $15 and they will expose polymer very nicely in about 30 minutes time
                          > from about four feet back. I think both the original Sylvania Sun Gun and
                          > the Sun Gun 2 both use the same DWY lamp.
                          >
                          > Ed

                          > has four standard, 24", straight-from-the-hardware-store, two-bulb fixtures
                          > mounted in it and wired up so they all come on together. I think the bulbs
                          > are 40W.<<<

                          Today I received the Ampersand Resource Guide and there is an article in there
                          by member Brian Allen titled "Home-made photopolymer plate-making system." In
                          this he indicates he used a rack of 18" UV fluorescent bulbs (five are
                          pictured in a sketch) of "20 watt GE or Slyvania blacklight tubes."

                          Gerald
                        • Martin R Gutzmer
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 13, 2002
                            But the RIPOFF guys is they will not sell the fluid to just anyone - you have to have bought the unit from them.
                            God Bless,
                            Martin
                            I have never seen the developer you are talking about. But physically it
                            sounds to me like an old pmt developer. Those are quite cheap now, any
                            chance one of those would work. I have never heard of this film and process
                            before and will definitly be looking into it up here(canada).
                            Mark

                            >>i wonder how someone could use the film star 2 developer fluid without the
                            >fim star 2 developer unit. the unit is nothing more than a basin for the
                            >fluid and two soft rollers, like wringers on an antique washing machine,
                            >that evenly squeegee excess fluid off the neg. it is overpriced. >
                            >best, brian

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            Message 13 of 26 , May 13, 2002
                              Ed Inman wrote:

                              > I think Brian once wrote something to that effect on the Letpresss group
                              > too.
                              >
                              > I'd be willing to give it a try but I'm admittedly skeptical. Regular
                              > 20-watt blacklights?? How long would you have to expose with such low
                              > wattage? I once tried using a series of old style Argon lamps that someone
                              > told me had good UV output and they just barely hardened the plate even
                              > after three hours of exposure. I didn't have much better luck with a
                              > 175-watt mercury lamp--another supposedly-good UV source.
                              >
                              > My 650-watt halogen Sun Gun will burn a harder plate in 15 minutes than
                              > either of these would in a whole afternoon--even though I typically let the
                              > plate expose for a full half-hour. I don't think there is a better $10
                              > platemaking system anywhere, haha.
                              >
                              > What replacement lamps and ballasts are called for in professional
                              > platemaking machines? This might be the best setup for a serious
                              > do-it-yourselfer.

                              Dear Ed

                              I'd be guessing that point-of-focus or whatever it is called is less useful
                              than a rack of lamps, though some folks report good results with halftones.

                              I know that Inge Bruggeman and Chip Shilling (both members here) have portable
                              suitcase like set ups that they use for workshops and the like. Also I think
                              Gene Becker sells some similar type of "relatively" inexpensive stand-alone
                              exposure unit.

                              Gerald
                            • Joel Benson
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 13, 2002
                                Katie,

                                Why not use the UV fluorescent tubes that the manufacturers specify? I understand using what you have on hand (as opposed to going out and spending thousands on a new machine), but if you are going to construct a light source you might as well set up the fluorescent bulbs. You'll use far less electricity, don't have to worry about the heat from the bulbs, and you bring the exposure time down to three or four minutes. That time really adds up if you ever have to make a lot of plates!

                                Joel

                                Joel Benson
                                Dependable Letterpress
                                San Francisco

                                Message 15 of 26 , May 13, 2002
                                  This makes sense, but what type of fixture would one use? A regular
                                  fluorescent fixture? I have a light table with fluorescent tubes. Could that
                                  be adapted if I got the right UV bulbs? Is there exposure information
                                  available about times, distances, etc.?

                                  Katie Harper
                                  Ars Brevis Press
                                  Cincinnati, OH
                                  513-233-9588

                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 13, 2002
                                    The UV bulbs can go into standard flourescent fixtures. The unit I have has four standard, 24", straight-from-the-hardware-store, two-bulb fixtures mounted in it and wired up so they all come on together. I think the bulbs are 40W.

                                    You'd want to mount the fixtures over whatever setup you are going to use to contact the negative to the plate. You need some kind of vacuum frame to get good contact for consistent, fine results. Ed Inman, in earlier posts, describes using the vacuum frame in his process camera, mine is homemade using a piece of scored formica and some Kreene.

                                    I think there is probably exposure information either in the archives of this list, or the resource folders. The fluorescent set-ups I have seen, both "real" and homemade, have the bulbs 2-4" from the plate material. I don't know how critical that distance is.

                                    Joel

                                    Joel Benson
                                    Dependable Letterpress
                                    San Francisco

                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 13, 2002

                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 13, 2002

                                        Gerald wrote:
                                        > Today I received the Ampersand Resource Guide and there is an article in
                                        there
                                        > by member Brian Allen titled "Home-made photopolymer plate-making system."
                                        In
                                        > this he indicates he used a rack of 18" UV fluorescent bulbs (five are
                                        > pictured in a sketch) of "20 watt GE or Slyvania blacklight tubes."

                                      • Brian Allen
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 13, 2002
                                          My homemade platemaking system was an attempt to mimic the expensive
                                          machines as closely as possible. The fluorescent units I used were single
                                          bulb ones, wired together and fit as closely as possible (clearance between
                                          bulbs is about 1/2 inch) to get even exposure, just like the machines. I
                                          think the double units put the bulbs too far apart. I got the bulbs from a
                                          large lightbulb supply company in Denver. Big cities would have at least one
                                          such place. Clearance to the vacuum frame was 1.5 - 2 inches.

                                          My article is in the PCBA (Pacific Center for the Book Arts) journal
                                          "Ampersand" Resource Issue, which comes out every few years. I also put
                                          together the letterpress resource section. There are sections for
                                          bookbinding, paper, conservation, typography, and so on - 52 pages of
                                          addresses/links info for the book arts. Edited by Alastair Johnston.

                                          I'll see about putting my article in the PPL resource area, but you'd do
                                          better to buy the issue, for all the other great stuff in there - $15
                                          includes postage, and you can get one by sending a check made out to: PCBA,
                                          300 De Haro St., San Francisco, CA 94103. It's a volunteer organization, so
                                          be patient.

                                          Brian Allen
                                          Mountain View, California
                                          ----------
                                          on 5/13/02 10:21 AM, Gerald Lange at bieler@... wrote:

                                          > Ed Inman wrote:
                                          >>
                                          >> You expose polymer with 40 Watt lamps? What exposure times do you use with
                                          >> this setup, Joel? Are you referring to regular purple looking
                                          >> "blacklights?" I didn't think such a low wattage setup would work very well
                                          >> even with hours of exposure. Can you give us a product descritption as
                                          >> printed on the bulbs you use and a little more detail as to your process?
                                          >>
                                          >> For what it's worth my cheapo homemade lamp setup is just a Sylvania "Sun
                                          >> Gun" that uses a 650 watt "DWY" halogen photo optic lamp. The lamps come
                                          >> with a warning that the bulb emits UV radiation and that you should not look
                                          >> directly into the fixture. You can usually find these used on ebay for $10
                                          >> to $15 and they will expose polymer very nicely in about 30 minutes time
                                          >> from about four feet back. I think both the original Sylvania Sun Gun and
                                          >> the Sun Gun 2 both use the same DWY lamp.
                                          >>
                                          >> Ed

                                          >> has four standard, 24", straight-from-the-hardware-store, two-bulb fixtures
                                          >> mounted in it and wired up so they all come on together. I think the bulbs
                                          >> are 40W.<<<
                                          >
                                          > Today I received the Ampersand Resource Guide and there is an article in there
                                          > by member Brian Allen titled "Home-made photopolymer plate-making system." In
                                          > this he indicates he used a rack of 18" UV fluorescent bulbs (five are
                                          > pictured in a sketch) of "20 watt GE or Slyvania blacklight tubes."
                                          >
                                          > Gerald
                                          >

                                          > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
                                          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                                          >
                                          > Encountering problems?
                                          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

                                        • Silver MayKitten
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 14, 2002
                                            20 W. lamps may be small wattage, and only 24" long, but if your
                                            vacuum frame is only 23x33" any more length is wasted. You put one
                                            lamp every 6" of the width of the frame about a foot away from the
                                            glass, and you get good coverage.

                                            MayKitten
                                            --- Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
                                            > Ed Inman wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > I think Brian once wrote something to that effect on the
                                            > Letpresss group
                                            > > too.
                                            > >
                                            > > I'd be willing to give it a try but I'm admittedly skeptical.
                                            > Regular
                                            > > 20-watt blacklights?? How long would you have to expose with
                                            > such low
                                            > > wattage? I once tried using a series of old style Argon lamps
                                            > that someone
                                            > > told me had good UV output and they just barely hardened the
                                            > plate even
                                            > > after three hours of exposure. I didn't have much better luck
                                            > with a
                                            > > 175-watt mercury lamp--another supposedly-good UV source.
                                            > >
                                            > > My 650-watt halogen Sun Gun will burn a harder plate in 15
                                            > minutes than
                                            > > either of these would in a whole afternoon--even though I
                                            > typically let the
                                            > > plate expose for a full half-hour. I don't think there is a
                                            > better $10
                                            > > platemaking system anywhere, haha.
                                            > >
                                            > > What replacement lamps and ballasts are called for in
                                            > professional
                                            > > platemaking machines? This might be the best setup for a
                                            > serious
                                            > > do-it-yourselfer.
                                            > >

                                            > Dear Ed
                                            >
                                            > I'd be guessing that point-of-focus or whatever it is called is
                                            > less useful
                                            > than a rack of lamps, though some folks report good results with
                                            > halftones.
                                            >
                                            > I know that Inge Bruggeman and Chip Shilling (both members here)
                                            > have portable
                                            > suitcase like set ups that they use for workshops and the like.
                                            > Also I think
                                            > Gene Becker sells some similar type of "relatively" inexpensive
                                            > stand-alone
                                            > exposure unit.
                                            >
                                            > Gerald

                                            =====
                                            Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

                                            From the book, Charge of the Goddess
                                            BY: Doreen Valiente

                                            LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                                            http://launch.yahoo.com
                                          • Katie Harper
                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 14, 2002
                                              While we're on the subject of home lamp setups, I have another question for
                                              those who use such setups. I would like to set up something for quick 'n
                                              dirty platemaking--I will still use the pros for the important work, but
                                              occasionally need to have a plate right away, and if it doesn't contain
                                              small type or fine detail, would like to be able to make it here in my shop.

                                              I inherited a small NuArc vacuum frame a couple of weeks ago, but it has no
                                              vacuum pump. Can I get one somewhere and hook it up?

                                              Katie Harper
                                              Ars Brevis Press
                                              Cincinnati, OH
                                              513-233-9588
                                            • Lee and Barbara Mason
                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 14, 2002
                                                Katie,
                                                My vacuun failed to work for awhile, turned out I had moved the machine and
                                                it was no longer perfectly level....so simple and so hard to figure out what
                                                was wrong. However in the mean time, I used a piece of foam with the plate
                                                on top and glass on top of the plate..the contact was as good as the vacuum
                                                and it worked well as the glass was pretty heavy. Of course this would not
                                                work for units that flip over.
                                                Barbara
                                                > While we're on the subject of home lamp setups, I have another question
                                                for
                                                > those who use such setups. I would like to set up something for quick 'n
                                                > dirty platemaking--I will still use the pros for the important work, but
                                                > occasionally need to have a plate right away, and if it doesn't contain
                                                > small type or fine detail, would like to be able to make it here in my
                                                shop.

                                                > I inherited a small NuArc vacuum frame a couple of weeks ago, but it has
                                                no
                                                > vacuum pump. Can I get one somewhere and hook it up?
                                                >

                                                > Katie Harper
                                                > Ars Brevis Press
                                                > Cincinnati, OH
                                                > 513-233-9588
                                                >

                                                > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
                                                > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                                                >
                                                > Encountering problems?
                                                > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

                                              • Harold Kyle
                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 14, 2002
                                                  On 5/14/02 9:17 AM, "Katie Harper" <knharper@...> wrote:
                                                  > I inherited a small NuArc vacuum frame a couple of weeks ago, but it has no
                                                  > vacuum pump. Can I get one somewhere and hook it up?

                                                  Katie:

                                                  I have several used vacuum pumps laying around here. If you'd like more info
                                                  you can contact me off-list.

                                                  Harold

                                                  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                                  Boxcar Press
                                                  640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
                                                  315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
                                                  www.boxcarpress.com
                                                  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                                • Joel Benson
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , May 14, 2002
                                                    Hi Ed,

                                                    Sorry for the slow reply here- yes, they are called "Blacklights" on the bulbs, but they aren't purple-looking like the incandescent blacklights. They cost me about $15 each, I think. I'll look at the product numbers when I get home- though I think it is a pretty standard Phillips bulb. I use about a 4 minute exposure time for fine type, 30 to 45 seconds for big solids or halftone screens.

                                                    I don't think it is the wattage that makes the difference so much as the specific wavelength of UV that the bulb gives off. I think the lamps you are using probably emit a large amount of light at one end of the UV spectrum and a lesser amount at the other end, which happens to be the end that the polymer is sensitive to. I remember a discussion of this with details about the wavelengths on either this list or LETPRESS, but I don't have it saved anywhere.

                                                    It sounds like there is a lot of leeway in exactly how far the bulbs need to be from the plate material. Silver May Kitten has the bulbs a foot away, Brian Allen has his 1.5-2" away and much closer together. That seems to define a range of acceptability. Using a Stouffer scale would tell you how long your exposure needs to be for whatever set up you construct.

                                                    Joel

                                                    Joel Benson
                                                    Dependable Letterpress
                                                    San Francisco

                                                    Joel wrote:
                                                    >>> The UV bulbs can go into standard flourescent fixtures. The unit I have
                                                    has four standard, 24", straight-from-the-hardware-store, two-bulb fixtures
                                                    mounted in it and wired up so they all come on together. I think the bulbs
                                                    are 40W.<<<

                                                    To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
                                                    PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com

                                                    Encountering problems?
                                                    PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

                                                  • David Goodrich
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , May 18, 2002
                                                      Vivian,
                                                      You are wise in inquiring before trying the Morgan Expansion Trucks. I
                                                      tried some on my Columbian No 2 and found there was not enough space for
                                                      them.
                                                      I suggest you contact Fritz Klinke at NA Graphics, who stocks them. He
                                                      can be reached at nagraph@.... He can probably tell you whether or
                                                      not they will fit. If they fit, they will solve your problem.
                                                      You also might want to post an inquiry to the Letpress Discussion Group.
                                                      I suspect more of their people use platen presses than the PPL group.

                                                      Sorry not to have responded sooner. I have been away the past week.

                                                      David