Building up roller tracks

  • Carole Aldrich
    Message 1 of 61 , Oct 10, 2003
      I was having some difficulty getting a good impression on my C&P Pilot Press. Harold
      Kyle of Boxcar press suggested that I needed to build up the roller tracks. This greatly
      improved printing. However, it seems that using tape to do this would require
      constant fiddling as the tape compresses over time. Does anyone have a more
      permanent solution.

      I also had a problem with uneven inking. I would be printing successfully and would
      start to experience lighter areas. Either left, right or center of my plate. It was not
      consistent. I took that as I sign that I needed to add more ink. In spite of what I
      thought was careful reinking, I would get another light spot which would not respond
      to any adjustments. I kept using makeready sheets during these adjustments to keep
      from using my "good" paper. If I raised the plate with a tiny piece of thin paper, it
      would ink too much. If I took the paper away, too little. Ditto for adjustments to my
      tape on the roller tracks. Adding a piece was too much, without it, too little. Seems
      like there was constant fiddling throughout the print run.

      Is this usual, or do I need to be doing something differently.
    • E Roustom
      Message 61 of 61 , Oct 29, 2003
        > hmmm...
        > may be i'll dunk a piece of polymer into vinegar to see if it does anything...
        > (will
        > report back).

        Stop! the vinegar will eat the polymer right up. That's what one is to use
        when cleaning platemaking equipment. It just melts the stuff.

        e.