Re: Photopolymer-optimization thread

    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 20 8:21 AM
      Dear Justin

      Over-exposing the plate might seem like the common-sensical approach
      but its not. You don't have the degree of control you need, and
      experimentation in this regard can get quite expensive, given the cost
      of plates, even at wholesale. Which is why a lot of us are so
      concerned with the ability to alter the letterforms (in a permanent
      fixed manneer) prior to either imagesetter adjustments or exposure.

      All best

      Ger

      --- In PPLetterpress@y..., "Justin Howes" <jhowes@j...> wrote:

      > As an alternative to p-optimising the font itself, could one not use the
      > standard font and slightly (but how slightly?) over-expose the plate? I've
      > never used PP, so please look tolerantly on a suggestion that probably shows
      > a lamentable ignorance of the technology. I know that when we were setting
      > books for offset we'd occasionally get the service bureau to beef up the
      > type by changing a setting on the imagesetter.
      >
      > Justin
      >
      > website: http://www.hwcaslon.com Home of Caslon Old Face, the world's oldest
      > living typeface.
      > email: jhowes@j...
    • Hrant H Papazian
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 21, 2002
        From: Gerald Lange
        > Hrant's dogged pursuit is raging over at the type-design list

        Notably sans Hrant... "'I like to watch', he said."

        From: "author50401"
        > 18 micron = 0.0007086614 inch

        That's so embarassing. And to think that I have a minor
        in Math... A micron is 10^-6 *meters*, not centimeters. :-/

        This is great news. Dwiggins, Justin, and
        now that guy are all in the same ballpark.

        hhp