Re: [PPLetterpress] moving a c&p pt 2: One-way woes.

  • chuck sumner
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
      my experience with lift gates and c&p's was:
      1. the cost per mile was half price if you're a company as opposed to
      indiviual
      2. i had to drive round trip as opposed to one way. which is basically
      what local means. you have to return it to where you got it. i moved mine
      on 1" pipe with two not so big friends. just remember that the flywheel
      side is heavier...

      good luck

      On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 letpresslist@... wrote:

      > Thank you so much for your suggestions so far. They have been very
      > informative.
      >
      > I have run into a problem with truck rentals... None of the truck
      > company's I've contacted offer one way trucks with a lift gate (they
      > are available locally only). (I've conacted Uhaul, Budget, Penske.
      > Ryder does not offer one way.)
      >
      > I have combed U haul's site for a 12" two axle trailer with the the
      > dropgate- i did find a trailer that was 6'x12' but it doesn't look
      > like there is a drop gate, and the sides are so low I can just see
      > myself hitting a bump and the C&P tumbling onto a two lane highway. The
      > open trailers I DID see were NOT one way.
      >
      > My wife suggests i use a forklift at Point A & Point B. I was wondering
      > what else you might suggest. I'd be open to renting a forklift but I'm
      > not at all familiar with the process (do I operate it? how does one
      > transport a fork lift, what can I expect to pay etc. )
      >
      > The man I am purchasing from says he can get up with a "rigger" who may
      > be able to move it out for me...
      >
      > Do any of you know a professional in the city of cincinnati?
      >
      > This press is definitely gonna be earned the hard way.
      >

      > thanks,
      > Brandon

      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > • Encountering problems? contact:
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > • To unsubscribe:

    • Gerry Lockhart
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
        Brandon,

        I Moved a 10 x 15 C&P last year from Richmond, IN to Hockingport, OH about
        300 miles one way. I found it was only possible to rent a truck round trip.
        Rider was the cheapest, and I got the large one with a lift tail gate (very
        much worth it) with all your looking around, you'll probably find it is
        less expensive to do the round trip by having the lift gate even though you
        have to drive it both ways and pay for the milage.

        As far as loading and unloading it... My wife and I moved it intact, but
        used a heavy duty jack to lift one side at a time in order to place doubled
        2" x 6" "runners" under each side. Then used 4 pieces of 1" pipe cut about
        4 ft long. Use the pipe under the runners to roll the press to the truck.
        made use of 2 come alongs to "wench" the press into position and up onto the
        lift gate. (you can attach the come alongs to the frame under the truck to
        pull the press onto the lift gate. Once the press is on the lift. Use 2
        additional come alongs attached inside the truck to maintain a hold on the
        press as it is lifted (keep tightening these and the lift comes up.... don't
        forget to loosen the 2 come alongs attached under the truck (these can be
        removed after the press is just about all the way up... and the inside come
        alongs now provide most of the pressure holding the press from sliding off
        the lift gate. Once all the way up.. use them to pull the press inside the
        truck. Secure the press so it doesn't slide around during the trip and
        you're on your way... to rest while you drive until you have to do the
        reverse to get it OUT of the truck :-) Again, be very careful lowering
        the press on the lift gate.... USE the come alongs to prevent it from
        sliding off the lift gate as it is lowered. If it starts to slip & move,
        you've had it... and pray no one is standing where it will fall

        I also moved a 12 x 18 Little Giant # 4 cylinder letterpress that same trip,
        using the same procedure. It weighed more than twice what the C&P did.
        It's amazing what you can do with a few lengths of pipe and a couple of come
        alongs. Just take is slow and cautious, always aware of what the weight may
        do and which way it may want to slide.... keep yourself and others out of
        the way of it.

        Good luck and enjoy your prize once you get it home!!

        Gerry Lockhart