Re: laser printer negatives

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2001
      Hi Brian

      Almost bought one of these but there was bit too much toner scatter on
      the proofs they sent, and I needed stuff for CRC. The "filmstar" thing
      seemed like it may be for the quick print crowd. I'm guessing. I doubt
      they will ever go the full nine yards for us letterpress folk.

      Paul Watry on this list will be interested in what you are doing
      though. I think they have one. He's at the University of Liverpool.
      What say ye Paul?

      You might try Laser Buddy (used in serigraphy). Makes the toner
      darker. Actually works, but because its a spray on I wonder if you can
      get even coverage. Have a can here and it really does pop up the toner
      but seemingly at the expense of the translucent areas. I've asked if
      anyone else had tried it here, but got no response. I know Linda Dare
      at Otis Laboratory Press uses it all the time and they process negs
      off the laser printer using sheet material they get from a local
      printing supplier.

      Sounds exciting. Hope Xante keeps pushing the letter.

      All best

      Gerald

    • thronobulx@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2001
        Hello, Brian: Resistance is futile. Have your negs made by a service bureau.
        The time you spend messing around trying to get a real neg from alternative
        methods would be better spent putting ink on paper. Film well done is money
        well spent.

        A minor aside: There are shift keys at your disposal just below each of your
        little fingers. The upper case was invented for a good reason.

        Supportively yours,

        James Shanley
      • D. McNaughton
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2001
          I have used a similar product for offset platemaking using Agfa Laserlink
          film in my laser printer. It works very well for this but I doubt very much
          if it would blacken up the neg enough for the longer exposures required for
          poylmer.

          David
          Toora Australia

          >y Laser Buddy (used in serigraphy). Makes the toner
          > darker. Actually works, but because its a spray on I wonder if you can
          > get even coverage. Have a can here and it really does pop up the toner
          > but seemingly at the expense of the translucent areas.
          > Gerald

        • Libbie Hitt
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 14, 2001
            Hi!

            At Otis we use an HP 8000 to print our negs on "laser film" from Kelly Paper
            (used for screenprinting usually). There are 2 thicknesses, and the thinnest
            (.003) works the best with the least warping (important only if you are doing
            tight registration). To make them opaque, we spray them with "laser-buddy"
            (http://laserbuddy.com/), use a blowdryer for fast drying, and with some
            practice, they work great. (Not as good as service beaureau, but so much
            cheaper!!)

            Libbie Hitt