Re: yep, you guessed it: Moving a C&P

  • riverrider2
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
      Brandon,

      It sounds like you got a good deal on this set up. A press and many
      fonts for that price is a bargain!

      I couldn't tell is the press was an 8x12 or a 10x15. The difference
      in weight is substantial. An 8x12 weighs in the 1200Lb range, a
      10x15 is about 1800 Lbs, maybe more.

      I've moved a couple of 8x12, one of which was on wooden runners like
      the once shown. You can move these presses without disassembly. For
      that long distance you'll want to remove the flywheel in any case, as
      I've heard of the weight of the wheel breaking the drive shaft.

      Go with the lift gate truck. A ramp is useless in these weight
      ranges. If the ramp bends under the stress you are out a press and
      will have to pay for the ramp. I rented a lift gate truck from
      Ryder and was told that the gate could handle something like 4000
      lbs. Do get specifics from the renter.

      The main concerns with lift gates are steadying the press during the
      up and down travel, as they are a bit "jerky". They also slope
      slightly away from the truck a bit. The other concern is getting the
      press up onto the ramp. A couple of good strong backs can muscle it,
      but it's not easy. A come along would be a good idea to bring with
      you.

      The best tool for moving a press is a pallet jack. It lifts a ton
      and has wheels that are steerable. Tool rental places will carry
      these. A press on skids is a bit trickier, I put some wood on one of
      the skids and jacked up under the center of the press against some of
      the cross bars underneath it. You have to jack it up only enough to
      drag it along. If you go too high, you risk toppling it over.

      If it's possible to get the press onto a skid, you're golden. It
      would be tough to do though. Once on a skid (re-enforced with heavy
      plywood), you bolt it down and can move it at will with the pallet
      jack.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, letpresslist@b... wrote:
      > Hi all-
      >
      > I'm another one of those proud new owners of a C&P, this one is
      circa
      > 1890 (no clue on the model) and now I have the pleasure of picking
      it
      > up and driving it from Cincinnati to Asheville, NC next week...
      >
      > I have been searching the archives about C&P and have read all the
      > horror stories up to 1998 (5000+ postings on the C&P, people.) .
      my
      > hope is that i don't have to add such a story to the list.
      >
      > There's only two of us picking it up. I understand that I'm not
      going
      > to be dealing with any stairwell and that it's a "walk-in
      basement".
      > I'm not sure of a door size and have yet to hear back from him on
      the
      > matter, but in his posting he said "may have to take apart." I've
      been
      > waiting to hear from him to get some better assessment to You the
      Wise
      > People of the Listserv, but i can wait no longer.
      >
      > I'm wondering what the best approach is, what kind of tools I
      would
      > need, diagrams i can reference, what i should leave alone, etc.
      Also
      > any do's and don'ts on how to move this puppy would be very helpful
      and
      > I'm wondering what the best way to strap it in would be so it
      doesn't
      > fall over.
      >
      > (here is a link to the C&P:
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/
      > eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2558483640&category=26251&rd=1) (any
      idea
      > on its weight?)
      >
      > I'm going with Budget on the rental truck... they have models with
      > either a lift gate or a loading ramp, though nobody at Budget can
      tell
      > me what the max weight the lift gates can carry. Is this a good
      move?
      > Also already in my meager arsenal is a hand truck and a furniture
      dolly.

      > I sort of wish this were Dagobah and I had Yoda around to lift the
      C&P
      > merely by straining his brow and moving his arms around as if he
      were
      > sleepwalking.
      >
      > Thanks so much! I'm sure now that I have a press I'll be sure to
      bug
      > you all with all kinds of questions.
      >
      > Take care,
      >
      > Brandon Mise
      > Blue Barnhouse
    • E Roustom
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
        > I couldn't tell is the press was an 8x12 or a 10x15. The difference
        > in weight is substantial. An 8x12 weighs in the 1200Lb range, a
        > 10x15 is about 1800 Lbs, maybe more.
        Right On! As with everything else said in this email... an 8x12 is fairly
        easy. 10x15 is quite a challenge.

        > If it's possible to get the press onto a skid, you're golden...
        This is easy... you can use a pump jack (you can buy one for little money at
        any hardware store). Raise the press in small increments, onto pieces of
        wood fruniture, one leg at a time - untill press high enough to have 2x4's
        slipped under (replacing the furniture) and screwed into place (like skis).
        Then these can be lifted with the press in same manner to wheel pallet jack
        under, or to roll on pipes.

        Good luck,

        Elias
      • Ed Inman
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
          I think these weights may be a little bit on the high side. The last model
          N C&P's weighed 1050 lbs. for an 8 x 12 and 1500 lbs. for a 10 x 15
          according to factory specs. printed in the 1971-72 American Printing Equip.
          catalog. I don't think the older style C&P's would have necessarily been
          any heavier.
          Ed