Re: [PPLetterpress] yep, you guessed it: Moving a C&P

  • Roderick
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
      B,

      Here are a few manuals to check before and after assembling:

      http://www.boxcarpress.com/flywheel/index.html
      http://web.camasnet.com/~shockey/printing/cppart01.html

      Best, Roderick

      letpresslist@... wrote:
      Hi all-

      I'm another one of those proud new owners of a C&P, this one is circa
      1890 (no clue on the model) and now I have the pleasure of picking it
      up and driving it from Cincinnati to Asheville, NC next week...

      I have been searching the archives about C&P and have read all the
      horror stories up to 1998 (5000+ postings on the C&P, people.) . my
      hope is that i don't have to add such a story to the list.

      There's only two of us picking it up. I understand that I'm not going
      to be dealing with any stairwell and that it's a "walk-in basement".
      I'm not sure of a door size and have yet to hear back from him on the
      matter, but in his posting he said "may have to take apart." I've been
      waiting to hear from him to get some better assessment to You the Wise
      People of the Listserv, but i can wait no longer.

      I'm wondering what the best approach is, what kind of tools I would
      need, diagrams i can reference, what i should leave alone, etc. Also
      any do's and don'ts on how to move this puppy would be very helpful and
      I'm wondering what the best way to strap it in would be so it doesn't
      fall over.

      (here is a link to the C&P:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/
      eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2558483640&category=26251&rd=1) (any idea
      on its weight?)

      I'm going with Budget on the rental truck... they have models with
      either a lift gate or a loading ramp, though nobody at Budget can tell
      me what the max weight the lift gates can carry. Is this a good move?
      Also already in my meager arsenal is a hand truck and a furniture dolly.

      I sort of wish this were Dagobah and I had Yoda around to lift the C&P
      merely by straining his brow and moving his arms around as if he were
      sleepwalking.

      Thanks so much! I'm sure now that I have a press I'll be sure to bug
      you all with all kinds of questions.

      Take care,

      Brandon Mise
      Blue Barnhouse

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      � To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
      PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      � Encountering problems? contact:
      PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      � To unsubscribe:

    • riverrider2
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
        Brandon,

        It sounds like you got a good deal on this set up. A press and many
        fonts for that price is a bargain!

        I couldn't tell is the press was an 8x12 or a 10x15. The difference
        in weight is substantial. An 8x12 weighs in the 1200Lb range, a
        10x15 is about 1800 Lbs, maybe more.

        I've moved a couple of 8x12, one of which was on wooden runners like
        the once shown. You can move these presses without disassembly. For
        that long distance you'll want to remove the flywheel in any case, as
        I've heard of the weight of the wheel breaking the drive shaft.

        Go with the lift gate truck. A ramp is useless in these weight
        ranges. If the ramp bends under the stress you are out a press and
        will have to pay for the ramp. I rented a lift gate truck from
        Ryder and was told that the gate could handle something like 4000
        lbs. Do get specifics from the renter.

        The main concerns with lift gates are steadying the press during the
        up and down travel, as they are a bit "jerky". They also slope
        slightly away from the truck a bit. The other concern is getting the
        press up onto the ramp. A couple of good strong backs can muscle it,
        but it's not easy. A come along would be a good idea to bring with
        you.

        The best tool for moving a press is a pallet jack. It lifts a ton
        and has wheels that are steerable. Tool rental places will carry
        these. A press on skids is a bit trickier, I put some wood on one of
        the skids and jacked up under the center of the press against some of
        the cross bars underneath it. You have to jack it up only enough to
        drag it along. If you go too high, you risk toppling it over.

        If it's possible to get the press onto a skid, you're golden. It
        would be tough to do though. Once on a skid (re-enforced with heavy
        plywood), you bolt it down and can move it at will with the pallet
        jack.

      • E Roustom
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
          > I couldn't tell is the press was an 8x12 or a 10x15. The difference
          > in weight is substantial. An 8x12 weighs in the 1200Lb range, a
          > 10x15 is about 1800 Lbs, maybe more.
          Right On! As with everything else said in this email... an 8x12 is fairly
          easy. 10x15 is quite a challenge.

          > If it's possible to get the press onto a skid, you're golden...
          This is easy... you can use a pump jack (you can buy one for little money at
          any hardware store). Raise the press in small increments, onto pieces of
          wood fruniture, one leg at a time - untill press high enough to have 2x4's
          slipped under (replacing the furniture) and screwed into place (like skis).
          Then these can be lifted with the press in same manner to wheel pallet jack
          under, or to roll on pipes.

          Good luck,

          Elias
        • Ed Inman
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
            I think these weights may be a little bit on the high side. The last model
            N C&P's weighed 1050 lbs. for an 8 x 12 and 1500 lbs. for a 10 x 15
            according to factory specs. printed in the 1971-72 American Printing Equip.
            catalog. I don't think the older style C&P's would have necessarily been
            any heavier.
            Ed