digital greek font

  • Brian Molanphy
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2003
      greetings,

      i would like a greek type to print a fragment of ancient poetry, facing
      the english translation, maybe as big as 30pt. pardon my ignorance of
      obtaining digital type: can i get the greek free on the web? or is that
      stealing like downloading music? i see on the ppl page the links>digital
      type has lots of type suppliers. can anyone recommend a source for a
      poetry (rather than math) font for around 24/30pt?

      thank you, brian
    • typetom@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2003
        Hi Brian,
        As a free fall-back option usually you can find Greek characters in Times New
        Roman already on your computer. If you are using Word, go to Insert/ Symbol/
        and look for Greek. You'll have to insert the letters one at a time by double
        clicking on them. You can adjust the point size like any other font. Possibly
        several other fonts already on your computer may have them as well. Times also
        has Hebrew and a multitude of accented letters, though on my computer it
        won't give me italic characters with accents.
        Best wishes, Tom

        Tom Parson
        Now It's Up To You Publications
        157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
        (303) 777-8951
        http://members.aol.com/typetom
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2003
          brian

          Matthew Carter's Miller Text has a companion font called Wilson Greek.
          I've used Miller for letterpress and with a bit of touching up,
          reduction in weight and expanded unit spacing, it works well. I wrote
          a little bit on this, with visual examples in the previous issue of
          Printing History.

          http://www.printinghistory.org/htm/journal/current.html

          Carter's Georgia, which you probably have on your system (it used to
          be free), is a screen-optimized version of Miller. Miller/Wilson can
          be obtained from a number of distribution services.

          Free fonts are generally not very useful from a technical standpoint,
          especially if you are considering their usage in text. They are not
          illegal to download, but only if they are legitimate and not
          knock-offs of a commercial font.

          Gerald

          > i would like a greek type to print a fragment of ancient poetry, facing
          > the english translation, maybe as big as 30pt. pardon my ignorance of
          > obtaining digital type: can i get the greek free on the web? or is that
          > stealing like downloading music? i see on the ppl page the links>digital
          > type has lots of type suppliers. can anyone recommend a source for a
          > poetry (rather than math) font for around 24/30pt?
          >
          > thank you, brian
        • Dan Franklin
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2003
            Hi, Brian.

            >i would like a greek type to print a fragment of ancient poetry, facing
            >the english translation, maybe as big as 30pt. pardon my ignorance of
            >obtaining digital type: can i get the greek free on the web? or is that
            >stealing like downloading music? i see on the ppl page the links>digital
            >type has lots of type suppliers. can anyone recommend a source for a
            >poetry (rather than math) font for around 24/30pt?

            What face is the English set in?

            Baskerville Greek is beautiful, but it won't look good opposite
            Times. Minion Greek might be able to be used opposite Times, and vice
            versa, but Century (Schoolbook) Greek won't look good with anything
            but Century.

            May I point out that Ancient Greek uses a large number of accents,
            breathings, and combinations thereof? Contact me off list if you want
            me to proofread what you've set.
          • Mats Broberg
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 2003
              Brian,

              You should also have a look at Mr. Slimbach's Minion Pro, an OpenType
              typeface in several weights covering the WGL4 encoding (Latin, Central
              European, Cyrillic, Greek etc.).

              I have not been that impressed by Mr. Slimbach's former designs, but
              this is not bad at all - and very good for multilingual editions.

              All the best,
              Mats Broberg
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Ars Imprimis Press
              Hauptvägen 102
              SE-123 58 Farsta — Sweden
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Telephone: +46 8 604 59 81
              www.arsimprimispress.com
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/mFXtlB/TM
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
                Don't know if most folks are aware yet (or care), but conversion of PostScript
                Type 1 fonts to the OpenType format, is currently possible.

                Adobe has a downloadable Font Developer Kit for this and FontLab
                (current version) also allows for conversion. Well, sort of. I've had
                problems understanding the intricacies of the former and suspect there
                is some intermediary step missing in the FontLab instructions for
                this. Meaning, I've had problems making a viable conversion that works
                in all instances.

                However, FontLab will be bringing out (scheduled for December) a new
                version of its TransType (batch font format conversion software),
                TransType Pro, that will automate this process. So, if anyone is
                beginning to wonder what is going to eventually happen to that huge
                investment you've made in your PS1 font library (maybe I'm the only
                one), this may be the path forward.

                Gerald

                > You should also have a look at Mr. Slimbach's Minion Pro, an OpenType
                > typeface in several weights covering the WGL4 encoding (Latin, Central
                > European, Cyrillic, Greek etc.).
                >

                > All the best,
                > Mats Broberg
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                > Ars Imprimis Press
                > Hauptvägen 102
                > SE-123 58 Farsta — Sweden
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                > Telephone: +46 8 604 59 81
                > www.arsimprimispress.com
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              • Kent Manske
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 5, 2003
                  The Bay Area Book Artists will be hosting their 2nd Annual "Book Arts
                  Jam". Over 50 artists and book arts organizations will present artist
                  books, finepress books, prints, multiples and zines. Letterpress
                  demonstrations by letterpress enthusiasts "Printer's Guild at History
                  Park".

                  Foothill College is located just off Highway 280, about 15 miles
                  north of San Jose and 30 miles south of San Francisco.

                  BOOK ARTS JAM
                  Saturday, Oct 18, 10- 4 pm
                  Foothill College
                  Los Altos Hills, California