laser printer negatives

  • Brian Molanphy
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2001
      greetings,

      we use a polimero a3 with gene becker's ms-158 plates. now we are trying to
      make negatives in-house. our laser printer is xante accel-a-writer 8300, and
      we just purchased from xante a 'filmstar' fim developer. print a
      transparency or translucency on the laser printer, then pass it thru the
      filmstar, and voila, the black parts are as opaque a a neg from the service
      bureau. but, in fact, the neg isn't as black as a service bureau neg. one
      test plate was a mess, the second is ok. anybody have one of these things?
      xante tech support has been helpful, but i would also like the view from the
      polymer plate crowd.

      thanks, brian
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2001
        Hi Brian

        Almost bought one of these but there was bit too much toner scatter on
        the proofs they sent, and I needed stuff for CRC. The "filmstar" thing
        seemed like it may be for the quick print crowd. I'm guessing. I doubt
        they will ever go the full nine yards for us letterpress folk.

        Paul Watry on this list will be interested in what you are doing
        though. I think they have one. He's at the University of Liverpool.
        What say ye Paul?

        You might try Laser Buddy (used in serigraphy). Makes the toner
        darker. Actually works, but because its a spray on I wonder if you can
        get even coverage. Have a can here and it really does pop up the toner
        but seemingly at the expense of the translucent areas. I've asked if
        anyone else had tried it here, but got no response. I know Linda Dare
        at Otis Laboratory Press uses it all the time and they process negs
        off the laser printer using sheet material they get from a local
        printing supplier.

        Sounds exciting. Hope Xante keeps pushing the letter.

        All best

        Gerald

      • thronobulx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2001
          Hello, Brian: Resistance is futile. Have your negs made by a service bureau.
          The time you spend messing around trying to get a real neg from alternative
          methods would be better spent putting ink on paper. Film well done is money
          well spent.

          A minor aside: There are shift keys at your disposal just below each of your
          little fingers. The upper case was invented for a good reason.

          Supportively yours,

          James Shanley
        • D. McNaughton
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 2001
            I have used a similar product for offset platemaking using Agfa Laserlink
            film in my laser printer. It works very well for this but I doubt very much
            if it would blacken up the neg enough for the longer exposures required for
            poylmer.

            David
            Toora Australia

            >y Laser Buddy (used in serigraphy). Makes the toner
            > darker. Actually works, but because its a spray on I wonder if you can
            > get even coverage. Have a can here and it really does pop up the toner
            > but seemingly at the expense of the translucent areas.
            > Gerald

          • Libbie Hitt
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 14, 2001
              Hi!

              At Otis we use an HP 8000 to print our negs on "laser film" from Kelly Paper
              (used for screenprinting usually). There are 2 thicknesses, and the thinnest
              (.003) works the best with the least warping (important only if you are doing
              tight registration). To make them opaque, we spray them with "laser-buddy"
              (http://laserbuddy.com/), use a blowdryer for fast drying, and with some
              practice, they work great. (Not as good as service beaureau, but so much
              cheaper!!)

              Libbie Hitt