Re: Arches 88

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2003
      A while back I asked if anyone had used Arches 88 for projects and got
      some helpful responses. Just reporting back here. This proved a great
      paper to work with. This was printed damp and I was a bit surprised at
      how well it "held its water"!!! Five days in the humidor and it
      remained quite constant. Stiff as a board when dry, limp as a rag when
      dampened. And printed wonderfully.

      Thanks

      Gerald
    • rprice@wesleyan.edu
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2003
        Hello my teacher,

        Chiming in here-- I rarely have trouble with paper drying out in the humidor. If the
        atmosphere or the paper itself starts to feel dry, I just re-dampen the foam pads (or add
        more foam, since I usually don't need the large top piece--makes it too wet). More often,
        my problem is the paper being a little too wet. In that case, I take out the paper and
        quickly re-stack it, so that each sheet gets the air for a couple of seconds. Best to have a
        chunk of time (minimum maybe 1 hour?) after you do this and before you start printing, so
        that the paper's moisture level can settle down & be consistent throughout the stack
        again. But I think I learned all this from you!

        Another note for humidor-users: having the foam pads be as large as possible is really
        helpful (and placed all along the edges, as shown in the Allen Press book, _Printing with
        the Handpress_--err, I think that's the title). That way, they best keep in the moisture.

        rp

        Quoting Gerald Lange <bieler@...>:

        > A while back I asked if anyone had used Arches 88 for projects and got
        > some helpful responses. Just reporting back here. This proved a great
        > paper to work with. This was printed damp and I was a bit surprised at
        > how well it "held its water"!!! Five days in the humidor and it
        > remained quite constant. Stiff as a board when dry, limp as a rag when
        > dampened. And printed wonderfully.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Gerald
        >

        > � To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > � Encountering problems? contact:
        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > � To unsubscribe:

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Robin Price, Printer & Publisher
        Starr Mill, Beverly Heights
        Middletown, CT 06457
        tel 860-344-8644 fax 860-344-0344
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2003
          Hi Robin

          Yes, I'd agree, this is the best way to control the hydration of the
          paper. Problem I had with the Arches 88 was that all four humidors
          were full and I had a hard time actually lifting the heaps out
          (without asking for trouble-which I am trying to avoid in my old
          age!!!!). So I kind of crossed my fingers and the paper held its own
          for the five days. Actually, it didn't want to release for days
          afterward. The advice about the altering the foam is good, you can
          control hydration by the amount of pieces and the number of times you
          redamped them. Or vice versa.

          Thanks

          Gerald