Plate makers

  • bluebarnhouse
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2003
      Does anyone have suggestions where I should go to buy an exposing unit and
      washout unit for photo polymer plates? I'm open to used or new, but I am wondering
      what the best products are. Although a unit that can handle and 11x17 plate would
      be nice my budget will probably keep me at 8.5x11 for now.

      I'm in charlotte for the next month and noticed that BASF corp is here in town... so I
      may check in with them.

      thanks in advance,
      Brandon Mise
      Blue Barnhouse Books
      www.bluebarnhouse.org
    • E Roustom
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 24, 2003
        My two cents, for what it's worth:

        Most platemakers work the same - little things distinguish them apart.
        I use an A&V - works fine. I'd rather have a Jet - for overall flexibility
        and ease of use, and good quality, none compare to the Jet. NA Graphics
        sells Jet.

        A&V sells A&V (no middlemen). These machines are a little tight, in many
        ways - overall good quality.

        Avoid "Just Right" - horrible little things - but cheap, and do the job.

        As for used machines - buyer beware.
        Don't buy a machine you don't have the option to see running, unless you're
        buying from the manufacturer, and you have the option to ship back if not to
        your liking (at their expense - Some people sell equipment, but haven't a
        clue what makes it work).

        Good luck,

        Elias

        > From: "bluebarnhouse" <letpresslist@...>
        > Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:18:55 -0000
        > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Plate makers
        >
        > Does anyone have suggestions where I should go to buy an exposing unit and
        > washout unit for photo polymer plates? I'm open to used or new, but I am
        > wondering
        > what the best products are. Although a unit that can handle and 11x17 plate
        > would
        > be nice my budget will probably keep me at 8.5x11 for now.
        >
        > I'm in charlotte for the next month and noticed that BASF corp is here in
        > town... so I
        > may check in with them.
        >

        > thanks in advance,
        > Brandon Mise
        > Blue Barnhouse Books
        > www.bluebarnhouse.org

        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > • Encountering problems? contact:
        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > • To unsubscribe:

      • L.A. Book Arts, Inc
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 24, 2003
          found this link:
          http://www.focuslabel.com/exhibition/platemaking/platemaking.html

          charles
          On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 01:52 PM, E Roustom wrote:

          > My two cents, for what it's worth:
          >
          > Most platemakers work the same - little things distinguish them apart.
          > I use an A&V - works fine. I'd rather have a Jet - for overall
          > flexibility
          > and ease of use, and good quality, none compare to the Jet. NA Graphics
          > sells Jet.
          >
          > A&V sells A&V (no middlemen). These machines are a little tight, in
          > many
          > ways - overall good quality.
          >
          > Avoid "Just Right" - horrible little things - but cheap, and do the
          > job.
          >
          > As for used machines - buyer beware.
          > Don't buy a machine you don't have the option to see running, unless
          > you're
          > buying from the manufacturer, and you have the option to ship back if
          > not to
          > your liking (at their expense - Some people sell equipment, but
          > haven't a
          > clue what makes it work).
          >
          > Good luck,
          >
          > Elias
          >
          > > From: "bluebarnhouse" <letpresslist@...>
          > > Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:18:55 -0000
          > > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          > > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Plate makers
          > >
          > > Does anyone have suggestions where I should go to buy an exposing
          > unit and
          > > washout unit for photo polymer plates?  I'm open to used or new, but
          > I am
          > > wondering
          > > what the best products are.  Although a unit that can handle and
          > 11x17 plate
          > > would
          > > be nice my budget will probably keep me at 8.5x11 for now.
          > >
          > > I'm in charlotte for the next month and noticed that BASF corp is
          > here in
          > > town... so I
          > > may check in with them.
          > >

          > > thanks in advance,
          > > Brandon Mise
          > > Blue Barnhouse Books
          > > www.bluebarnhouse.org
          > >

          > >  To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
          > > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          > >  Encountering problems? contact:
          > > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          > >  To unsubscribe:

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          <image.tiff>

          >  To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          >  Encountering problems? contact:
          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          >  To unsubscribe:

          ------------------------------------
          L.A Book Arts, Inc.
          The Custom Bindery
          Krause Intaglio
          310.360.7265
          www.Custombindery.com
          ------------------------------------
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 25, 2003
            Brandon

            In the Links section here, as well as the Database, there is contact
            information for various manufacturers and distributors. Several of
            these firms offer used and/or reconditioned machines. I haven't really
            checked around but I do know that Anderson & Vreeland offers used
            machines (from trade-ins). Last time I looked at the JetUSA site they
            were planning on putting up a similar page. For UK folks, there is
            Polygraphica.

            Any of these machines, used or new, will be a bit of an outlay. What
            is your expected usage? If cost is an issue, and your expected usage
            is not going to be significant, it may not warrant the investment. You
            would probably be better off, cost wise, just buying your plates from
            someone who already has a machine.

            Gerald

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 25, 2003
              Brandon

              Might be a good idea. BASF sells their display and promo units at
              discount (a BASF rep offered to sell me one when I was first shopping
              around for a unit). Ask, you never know.

              Gerald