Steel-backed photopolymer plates on aluminium bases

  • Mats Broberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15, 2003
      Dear listmembers,

      Those of you who prefer steel-backed plates but are deterred by the cost
      of Cerface or other magnetic bases in larger format (e.g. for large
      cylinder presses) may want to explore the possibility to mount the plate
      using 3M:s "SprayMount" - an aerosol adhesive which is repositionable.

      This test was done out of necessity, since I needed to print a
      steel-backed plate for which I didn't have large enough a magnetic base.
      I wouldn't bet my life on how the adhesive works in larger editions &
      heavy forms with regards to plate travel, but having tried it on a
      Vandercook Uni III for an edition of a couple of hundred sheets, it
      seems to work fine so far.

      Further investigations are necessary, though.

      All the best,
      Mats Broberg

      Stockholm - Sweden
    • M a n i f e s t o P r e s s
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 15, 2003
        Spray mount is great. I use it for large format pieces on my Vandercook 219.
        I have had a large steel base manufactured from a shop downstairs from mine.
        Mounting with spraymoint and the taping the plate down when it¹s finally
        positioned works as well as my bunting base.