Re: [PPLetterpress] hand or machine

  • E Roustom
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2003
      Hello Tom,

      Point(s) well taken - I'm impressed - my experience handwashing plates was
      anything but fun. I don't disagree with anything you've written. But I still
      don't see how one can say that the "only" advantage is size. While you wash
      out one 6x9 plate by hand in 20 to 30 minutes, the machine does two or three
      in the same time (two basic weddings in one cycle using an A3 plate). While
      plate is in the washer (or drier), you can be online posting to pplettpress,
      or writing an estimate, or ordering paper, or cleaning up a press. Better
      still, if you have help for a day, you can teach almost anyone to run that
      machine, and free yourself up to print, and that is an advantage beyond any.
      Would you say the only advantage an automated press has over a hand fed
      press is speed? One can get by with very little to make beautiful prints, or
      even to turn a profit printing. It is a matter of scale (and style) in all
      cases. The cost of a new platemaker is quite high ($6-$8K), but over a
      couple of years it is paid for, and unlike much of the equipment we use, it
      retains its value and has current application in contemporary industry, so
      the investment can be recovered (can't say that about any of my presses
      except maybe the Windmill).

      I'm glad you were moved to respond. I've been wanting to introduce
      handwashing in my workshops, and I think your description of the process is
      very good, and your faith in it is reasuring. Thank you.

      Yours truly,

      Elias