Ink

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2001
      LLP:

      I was wondering if anyone has used the Hostmann-Steinberg Special
      Matte Black 8 KYX 21583-SS.

      This was developed a few years ago by Steven Heaver in coordination
      with Hostmann-Steinberg. It is being sold by NA Graphics.

      Thought I'd ask before I took the plunge. I've been using Handschy
      BK-8035 Crayon Black but the consistency is quite variable, depending
      upon who you buy it from, and the stuff seems to be drying out in the
      can from the bottom up, oddly.

      Time to switch?

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
        Hello all

        Never did get a reply on this. Is anyone using the Hostmann-Steinberg
        Special Matte Black 8 KYX 21583-SS?

        I was also recently told about Midway Ink Corp's Letterpress Book
        Black #B-17421. Anyone using this?

        Gerald

      • thronobulx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
          All- I have used a Midway black that is excllent. I'm not sure if it the
          book ink, as someone gave me an unlabeled yoghurt container full of a very
          dense, very black oil based ink. I was told that the minimum order was 25
          pounds. At any rate, it is a wonderful ink.

          James
        • Mark Attwood
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
            Hi Gerald,

            Haven't used that particular matt black, but I use Hostmann Steinberg's
            light-fast inks for hand lithography and find them to be very good.

            Hope this helps,
            Mark.

            Mark Attwood

            The Artists' Press
            Box 623
            Newtown
            2113
            South Africa

            Tel. +27 11 836 5474
            fax. +27 11 836 6858
            mark@...

            ----------

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 20, 2007
              I've recently switched to Graphic Chemical for my primary oil-based
              ink. That being their Lithographic Senefelder's Crayon Black No. 1803.
              This can be cut, if need be, with their Graphic Litho Roll Up Black
              No. 1921.

              Kramer Ink also has an impressive line up of oil-based inks, including
              letterpress formulated ink and the old printmaking formulas from
              Sinclair-Valentine (the red is to die for).

              http://www.kramerink.com/

              This is all good news. If you prefer rubber- or soy-based inks, and I
              can't image why, well, you are on your own.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 21, 2007
                At 4:17 AM +0000 21 09 07, Gerald Lange wrote:
                >I've recently switched to Graphic Chemical for my primary oil-based
                >ink. That being their Lithographic Senefelder's Crayon Black No. 1803.
                >This can be cut, if need be, with their Graphic Litho Roll Up Black
                >No. 1921.

                Thanks, good info. When I use up my 12 year old can of Cardinal Colors LP SlowDry Black, I'll have to try these!

                >Kramer Ink also has an impressive line up of oil-based inks, including
                >letterpress formulated ink and the old printmaking formulas from
                >Sinclair-Valentine (the red is to die for).

                Mmm. The ink may be fabulous but their web site is terrible...
                Built in MS Word... I couldn'ut find anything like a product catalog on the site.
                No email contact! Guess I'll have to rign them up ;-)
                Sheesh...

                Gerald which Red are you recommending?
                I'm looking for some primaries as well as mixing (rubine) colors

                Thx for the tips

                Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
                http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus