Re: NPR interview of Matthew Carter

  • Paul W Romaine
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2003
      A friend (not a designer or printer, but a book collector) who heard
      the interview wrote me about it:

      >Matthew was very interesting. He has the remarkable
      ability to make what he does really understandable to an average
      person.

      >Interesting points he made--

      >1. He always begins designing a type with the letters h and o.

      > 2. He came out squarely in favor of new technology vs. hot and cold
      metal, etc. (Several callers, one of them a former worker at
      Morganthaler, opined that everything had [gone] downhill since ca.
      1910...)

      > 3. Made the distinction between what he produces and what people do
      with it.

      > 4. Mentioned his parents coming out of an "arts and crafts
      tradition" influenced by Ruskin and Morris.
      <

      The NPR website wasn't allowing the Real Audio data to stream when I
      check, but the interview sounds interesting.

      -Paul