Re: [PPLetterpress] NPR interview of Matthew Carter

  • M a n i f e s t o P r e s s
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2003
      I called in to this show right after it started. I told the screener I was a
      letterpress printer who has worked with lead type as a caster, wood type,
      and now primarily with photo-polymer as a letterpress printer. I also
      mentioned that I was finishing up label designs for a brewery that used a
      special typeface a close friend of mine designed specifically for the
      brewery...she put me on hold and then about 5 minutes later came back to
      tell me she didnĀ¹t think my topic was relevant to the conversation...

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2003
        >...she put me on hold and then about 5 minutes later came back to
        >tell me she didn't think my topic was relevant to the conversation...

        Unfortunately, broadcast media folks are pretty clueless about design, in general... I'm sure they had no idea what Matthew was talking about.

        >I called in to this show right after it started. I told the screener I was a
        >letterpress printer who has worked with lead type as a caster, wood type,
        >and now primarily with photo-polymer as a letterpress printer. I also
        >mentioned that I was finishing up label designs for a brewery that used a
        >special typeface a close friend of mine designed specifically for the
        >brewery...she put me on hold and then about 5 minutes later came back to
        >tell me she didn't think my topic was relevant to the conversation...

        Peter Fraterdeus http://www.midsummernightstamps.com
        http://www.fraterdeus.com |* + * + * + Rubber Stamp Fine Art!

        http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting < * > Mac OS X
      • Paul W Romaine
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2003
          A friend (not a designer or printer, but a book collector) who heard
          the interview wrote me about it:

          >Matthew was very interesting. He has the remarkable
          ability to make what he does really understandable to an average
          person.

          >Interesting points he made--

          >1. He always begins designing a type with the letters h and o.

          > 2. He came out squarely in favor of new technology vs. hot and cold
          metal, etc. (Several callers, one of them a former worker at
          Morganthaler, opined that everything had [gone] downhill since ca.
          1910...)

          > 3. Made the distinction between what he produces and what people do
          with it.

          > 4. Mentioned his parents coming out of an "arts and crafts
          tradition" influenced by Ruskin and Morris.
          <

          The NPR website wasn't allowing the Real Audio data to stream when I
          check, but the interview sounds interesting.

          -Paul