Re: Tapping steel-backs

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
      Elias

      A piece of steel furniture!!! I was using a wide non-magnetic
      screwdriver with a T-handle. Worked well. Then tonight I found one of
      those binder's tools that are used for working spines and covers.
      About a half-inch brass 2-point rule affixed to a long wood handle.
      Think that will work nicely.

      The steel plate isn't all that thick and I would think one would need
      to get fairly close to its own thickness to avoid slippage???

      Gerald

      > A word of caution on tapping: sometimes (especially when you're out of
      > time), you tap the plate, and the piece of steel furniture you're
      tapping
      > with jumps over the edge and goes *crunch* into the line of type
      (suddenly
      > the letter "y" looks like the letter "v")!
      > As for scratching the bunting: I know I should treat my expensive
      tools
      > better, but these things take a lot of abuse a keep working.
      >
      > Elias
    • E Roustom
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2003
        It's not rocket science, so whatever works is always the best way to do it.
        I find that something only as thick as the plate steel too strong, and digs
        into the base, and perhaps responds too directly to the tapping (with the
        hammer end of the quoin key). The steel furniture abosorbs the tapping and
        lets me make very subtle moves; the larger the piece of furniture (better
        grip in my hand) the more control I get.
        In addition, a broad piece of furniture pressed against the width of the
        steel can move a plate up or down, left or right without putting the plate
        off square (at least not too much).
        The fact that the base pulls on the furniture is not a problem - it
        steadies everything.

        e.