Re: [PPLetterpress] Tapping steel-backs

  • E Roustom
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
      A word of caution on tapping: sometimes (especially when you're out of
      time), you tap the plate, and the piece of steel furniture you're tapping
      with jumps over the edge and goes *crunch* into the line of type (suddenly
      the letter "y" looks like the letter "v")!
      As for scratching the bunting: I know I should treat my expensive tools
      better, but these things take a lot of abuse a keep working. I have one base
      with two holes in it, that match up perfectly in size and spacing to the
      posts on a double grip guage pin (how did that happen - interns are fun,
      no?). I filled the holes with epoxy as smooth and flat as possible, and
      never worried about it since (on rare occasions I have to makeready that
      spot with tissue).

      Elias

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
        Elias

        A piece of steel furniture!!! I was using a wide non-magnetic
        screwdriver with a T-handle. Worked well. Then tonight I found one of
        those binder's tools that are used for working spines and covers.
        About a half-inch brass 2-point rule affixed to a long wood handle.
        Think that will work nicely.

        The steel plate isn't all that thick and I would think one would need
        to get fairly close to its own thickness to avoid slippage???

        Gerald

        > A word of caution on tapping: sometimes (especially when you're out of
        > time), you tap the plate, and the piece of steel furniture you're
        tapping
        > with jumps over the edge and goes *crunch* into the line of type
        (suddenly
        > the letter "y" looks like the letter "v")!
        > As for scratching the bunting: I know I should treat my expensive
        tools
        > better, but these things take a lot of abuse a keep working.
        >
        > Elias
      • E Roustom
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2003
          It's not rocket science, so whatever works is always the best way to do it.
          I find that something only as thick as the plate steel too strong, and digs
          into the base, and perhaps responds too directly to the tapping (with the
          hammer end of the quoin key). The steel furniture abosorbs the tapping and
          lets me make very subtle moves; the larger the piece of furniture (better
          grip in my hand) the more control I get.
          In addition, a broad piece of furniture pressed against the width of the
          steel can move a plate up or down, left or right without putting the plate
          off square (at least not too much).
          The fact that the base pulls on the furniture is not a problem - it
          steadies everything.

          e.