Tapping steel-backs

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
      Someone, or rather, a couple of folks, mentioned tapping a
      steel-backed plate into measurement when we going through the
      steel-backed vs vinyl-backed thing a while back. I'd never done this
      and let it slide. I just figured it was a great way to scar up the
      base. Then I watched one of my students do this (he figured it out on
      his own) on a four-color job that was quite immaculately registered.
      So for the past two weeks I have been tapping (to in-position steel
      guides).

      This is so cool.

      Thanks, whoever you were.

      Gerald
    • E Roustom
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
        A word of caution on tapping: sometimes (especially when you're out of
        time), you tap the plate, and the piece of steel furniture you're tapping
        with jumps over the edge and goes *crunch* into the line of type (suddenly
        the letter "y" looks like the letter "v")!
        As for scratching the bunting: I know I should treat my expensive tools
        better, but these things take a lot of abuse a keep working. I have one base
        with two holes in it, that match up perfectly in size and spacing to the
        posts on a double grip guage pin (how did that happen - interns are fun,
        no?). I filled the holes with epoxy as smooth and flat as possible, and
        never worried about it since (on rare occasions I have to makeready that
        spot with tissue).

        Elias

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
          Elias

          A piece of steel furniture!!! I was using a wide non-magnetic
          screwdriver with a T-handle. Worked well. Then tonight I found one of
          those binder's tools that are used for working spines and covers.
          About a half-inch brass 2-point rule affixed to a long wood handle.
          Think that will work nicely.

          The steel plate isn't all that thick and I would think one would need
          to get fairly close to its own thickness to avoid slippage???

          Gerald

          > A word of caution on tapping: sometimes (especially when you're out of
          > time), you tap the plate, and the piece of steel furniture you're
          tapping
          > with jumps over the edge and goes *crunch* into the line of type
          (suddenly
          > the letter "y" looks like the letter "v")!
          > As for scratching the bunting: I know I should treat my expensive
          tools
          > better, but these things take a lot of abuse a keep working.
          >
          > Elias
        • E Roustom
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2003
            It's not rocket science, so whatever works is always the best way to do it.
            I find that something only as thick as the plate steel too strong, and digs
            into the base, and perhaps responds too directly to the tapping (with the
            hammer end of the quoin key). The steel furniture abosorbs the tapping and
            lets me make very subtle moves; the larger the piece of furniture (better
            grip in my hand) the more control I get.
            In addition, a broad piece of furniture pressed against the width of the
            steel can move a plate up or down, left or right without putting the plate
            off square (at least not too much).
            The fact that the base pulls on the furniture is not a problem - it
            steadies everything.

            e.