Re: Copper Engravings

  • Bruce P. Payne
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 20, 2003
      Hi all;

      I HAD to jump in the fray here after seeing all the posts on copper!
      We've used copper exclusively in our shop for years now, and find it
      economical, long lasting, and the best quality. We use it for
      letterpress printing, foil stamping & embossing.
      Metal Magic in Phoenix AZ makes a 20" engraving (1/4") for $37. Their
      customer service & file handling is superior in my opinion. Website
      is http://www.metalmagic.com/ Although all of our letterpress
      engravings are 1/4", I believe they still make a 16 gauge type high
      wood mount. Film is included in the cost, and I get a proof faxed to
      me upon request. (I can't open all the files I get; but they usually
      can.) They are wonderful.
      If we need a disposable plate (magnesium), I use Central Michigan
      Engravers, (517) 485-5865. Cost is sigificantly less than Owosso; 1
      caveat; file handling is less than perfect; I have to send camera
      ready copy, or a tiff file.

      -Bruce

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Mats
      >
      > Yeah, "etsade kopparklichéer" works for me. Apparently no one
      else
      > uses copper though!?! Very receptive to ink, very fine detail,
      easily
      > the match for photopolymer (especially today with imagesetter
      film—
      > without the camera problems of the past in the way), but very, very
      > expensive.
      >
      > I've since discovered (through Google) easily a half-a-dozen
      > grandfathered copper photoengravers still about in the US!!!
      >
      > Gerald
      >

      > > I think Gerald referred to copper photoengravings, which would be
      the
      > > copper variety of zinc- and magnesia photoengravings. I see that
      you are
      > > Swedish, so that would be "etsade zink- och magnesiumklichéer"
      in
      > > Swedish.
      > >
      > > Some people prefer to use copper photoengravings ("etsade
      > > kopparklichéer") rather than zinc- or magnesia photoengravings
      -
      for