RE: [PPLetterpress] Re: Letterpress papers?

  • Mats Broberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 11, 2003
      > Mats
      >
      > I've never known of a mouldmade that originated from North
      > America. Were the Fourdrinier and the mouldmade technique
      > developed somewhat simultaneously? and the latter technology
      > never made it to NA?
      >
      > Gerald

      Gerald,

      Yes, your suspicion is right:

      The Fourdrinier process was patented January 18th, 1799 by Louis
      Roberts, then sold to Saint-Leger Didot (yes, that Didot family!). Due
      to a quarrel between Messrs Robert and Didot, Robert withdrew the patent
      but Didot and his nephew John Gamble continued to develop it for the
      Fourdrinier brothers, two paper merchants in Paris, in cooperation with
      Bryan Donkin. The machine is said to have been in successful operation
      somewhere around 1805-1807.

      Images of Fourdrinier machines:

      http://www.baph.freeserve.co.uk/imagepages/q13p13.html
      http://www.dartfordarchive.org.uk/technology/magnified/Fourdrinier.htm

      The process of making a mouldmade paper, on the other hand, was patented
      by John Dickinson in 1809. His patent was based on a machine designed by
      Georg Dodd, which originally was built for cutting and placing the paper
      produced by the Fourdrinier process.

      An image of a cylinder mould machine:

      http://www.baph.freeserve.co.uk/imagepages/q04p4.html

      It would be interesting to know why the process of making mouldmade
      paper never made it to North America. It seems that the first
      Fourdrinier was imported to USA in 1827, and the first US-designed
      Fourdrinier built in 1829. No mentioning of cylinder mould machines.

      I should also add a correction to my posting yesterday: On a Fourdrinier
      machine the fiber/water mixture may also flow out on the mesh, rather
      than being sprayed onto the mesh. Mea culpa!

      All the best,
      Mats Broberg

      Stockholm - Sweden