Re: Paper sizing & problem solving

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9, 2003
      Jim

      There is some discussion regarding paper dampening and damp boxes in
      the Archives. Back in March and April, and a bit on it later in November
      and December, of last year.

      Rives responds well to dampening and I doubt you will have a problem
      because of the silkscreening, but I would do a test first.

      In the Lewis Allen book _Printing with the Handpress_, Allen discusses
      his technique and the use of damp boxes. He also provides several
      graphics and instructions on how to construct these yourself. I've got
      half-dozen of them and find them invaluable for controlling the
      hydration of paper. Gabriel Rummonds also discusses dampening in his
      book _Printing with the Iron Handpress_, which is still in print. From
      what I recall though, Gabriel used plastic bags rather than damp boxes.

      There were at least three editions of the Allen book and one or
      another often shows up with a search at abe.com.

      Gerald

      > My question involves paper sizing. I would prefer to use a soft
      printmaking
      > paper like Rives, and I'm wondering the best way to dampen the paper
      *after*
      > it's been silkscreened so I can get a nice impression on the press.
      Obviously I