Re: [PPLetterpress] Problems with InDesign 2.

    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 5, 2003
      Charles

      I would definitely try Bryan's suggestion, and in the procedure he has
      indicated. Sometimes a PDF will provide useful information as to what is
      wrong. And many service bureaus are now requesting PDFs to output from
      rather than directly from the file. It's becoming quite necessary to
      understand the ins and outs of Distiller.

      From what you have said here this is my take on it:

      When you say the type is styled, do you mean you have applied styles
      (bold, underline, italic, outline, etc) from the Font Style menu? If so,
      these attributes are not necessarily going to be captured by the
      PostScript imagesetter. If you apply the Italic Style to a word rather
      than using the Italic font itself you are not necessarily getting the
      true italic. Some fonts are keyboarded differently and may not be linked
      to the Style attributes. You need to use the correct font rather than
      have the software program simulate the effect. This can cause problems
      at the service bureau. The stylized effect is not always recognized. In
      PM this is easily corrected by making all the changes in the Story
      Editor. But this will also trash your kerning.

      If you are using any version of Mac OS 10 you may be having other
      problems related to accessing fonts. I think these have been worked out
      with the recent Panther version but don't know many folks who are using
      it yet. If you are using a PC, don't know if anything I've said here is
      applicable!!!

      Gerald

      Charles Jones wrote:
      > My regular service bureau usually prints files to a PressMate Negative
      > output. They upgraged to InDesign 2.0 from 1.5 and things were fine for a
      > while. I have a 100 page document prepared for them and all of a sudden
      > they can't print from InDesign. Pagemaker will work, but, although InDesign
      > will open Pagemaker files, PM won't open ID files. I need help.
      > The problem is the document is a play and the type is styled. When I copy a
      > page into PM the styling doesn't always stay the same. I can do it all
      > again but really don't want to.
      > Any suggestions?
      > Is there some someone who has worked around a similar problem?
      > Regards, Charlie J.

    • Dave Allen
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 12, 2003
        Hi Everyone,
        Sorry for cross posting this request but I need to ferrat this out whereever it may be.
        Does anyone have a manual for a Challenge Single head paper drill Style E?
        I have contacted Challenge and if they have any in their archives they are not admitting to them. I got thestandard response that it doesn't meet ansi standards etc. etc. - you know the drill..... (unconscious pun there!)
        If someone has one I would appreciate a scan or a photocopy for which I would be able to cover costs.
        Thanks
        Dave

        David Allen
        840 Snowdrop Avenue