Re: [PPLetterpress] BASF's digital WFH 95 HD photopolymer plates

  • Harold Kyle
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
      On 8/3/03 12:42 PM, "Mats Broberg" <mats.broberg@...>
      wrote:
      > Actually, I have no idea, but I suppose it is alot of money. Those
      > commercial systems usually are.

      True. I inquired about this equipment about two months ago. The plates must
      use a spark laser that costs around US$150,000. Efforts are underway to
      develop a more affordable laser in the range of US$70,000. I was told this
      new laser may be a few years out, if at all. The Nyloprint D material is
      approximately 20% more expensive than regular Nyloprint material. I
      understand other plate manufacturers are researching this as well; hopefully
      we'll see more innovations in the near future. I was under the impression
      that most reseach was oriented toward flexo plates, so it's reassuring that
      the BASF product has letterpress applications.

      Harold

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      Boxcar Press
      640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
      315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
      www.boxcarpress.com
      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    • Michael T Metz
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
        Mats:

        Is this a cost decision on your part, or is it a quality
        issue for you? If it is a cost decision, can you share
        with us what the margin is?

        Thanks,
        Mike
      • Mats Broberg
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
          Mike,

          I would say both. Although the increase in quality may not be possible
          to see, it does eliminate some crucial steps in the making of the plate.
          The safety margin will increase, so to speak. When working with very
          large plates (4-up or 8-up for bookwork, for example) I find this
          increase in safety margin to be important.

          Since I pay the same price for the digital plates as I did for the
          analog plates ($0.38 per sq inch), I save the full cost of imagesetting
          negatives every time I place an order. That adds up.

          All the best,
          Mats Broberg

          Stockholm - Sweden

          http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511