RE: [PPLetterpress] BASF's digital WFH 95 HD photopolymer plates

  • Mats Broberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
      > by means of a special exposing unit commonly
      > used in the flexography printing industry
      >
      > what's the cost of such a machine ? I'm pretty fond on my
      > vertical camera,
      > and I'm used to developing the plates.
      >
      > photographing all my adult life...

      John,

      Actually, I have no idea, but I suppose it is alot of money. Those
      commercial systems usually are.

      If you want to download a PDF product sheet, click on the "Overview"
      button on this page:

      http://www.basf-drucksysteme.de/e/pb/n/nylograv/index.shtml?navid=64

      All the best,
      Mats Broberg

      Stockholm - Sweden
    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
        On 8/3/03 12:42 PM, "Mats Broberg" <mats.broberg@...>
        wrote:
        > Actually, I have no idea, but I suppose it is alot of money. Those
        > commercial systems usually are.

        True. I inquired about this equipment about two months ago. The plates must
        use a spark laser that costs around US$150,000. Efforts are underway to
        develop a more affordable laser in the range of US$70,000. I was told this
        new laser may be a few years out, if at all. The Nyloprint D material is
        approximately 20% more expensive than regular Nyloprint material. I
        understand other plate manufacturers are researching this as well; hopefully
        we'll see more innovations in the near future. I was under the impression
        that most reseach was oriented toward flexo plates, so it's reassuring that
        the BASF product has letterpress applications.

        Harold

        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
        Boxcar Press
        640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
        315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
        www.boxcarpress.com
        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      • Michael T Metz
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
          Mats:

          Is this a cost decision on your part, or is it a quality
          issue for you? If it is a cost decision, can you share
          with us what the margin is?

          Thanks,
          Mike
        • Mats Broberg
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
            Mike,

            I would say both. Although the increase in quality may not be possible
            to see, it does eliminate some crucial steps in the making of the plate.
            The safety margin will increase, so to speak. When working with very
            large plates (4-up or 8-up for bookwork, for example) I find this
            increase in safety margin to be important.

            Since I pay the same price for the digital plates as I did for the
            analog plates ($0.38 per sq inch), I save the full cost of imagesetting
            negatives every time I place an order. That adds up.

            All the best,
            Mats Broberg

            Stockholm - Sweden

            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511