BASF's digital WFH 95 HD photopolymer plates

  • Bryce Erickson
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
      For some time now, I have been printing from BASF's new digital WFH 95
      HD photopolymer plate.

      Mats,

      Is your supplier able to cut the BASF plates to your required size, or
      reasonably close? I made inquiries to the Canadian BASF distributor and
      they only wanted to sell sheets approximately 3 by 4 feet and in carton
      quantities. (I don't recall the number of sheets per carton.)

      What resolution do you need to get a sharp laser burn of the surface
      blocking material?

      Regards,
      Bryce Erickson
      Saskatoon, SK anada
    • Mats Broberg
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
        Bryce,

        I don't expose and wash out these plates myself, but send my files to
        the platemaking company and get ready-to-print plates back.

        I can order as small plates as I want (from the platemaker), although
        they have a minimum plate charge of USD 20. This means I usually "mount"
        several designs with their individual trim and registration marks on a
        larger PDF page, send them to the platemaker, and then cut them in the
        printing office. This is a plastic-backed plate, so it is easy to cut.

        Regarding resolution, all the files I send to the supplier are 2540 dpi.
        Some people feel comfortable with less than that, however.

        Do you have a laser exposure unit? If so, I suppose you plan to expose
        the plates yourself and in that case the supplier (of unexposed plates)
        probably don't want to sell less than full sheets or a full package.

        All the best,
        Mats Broberg

        Stockholm - Sweden

        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/mFXtlB/TM
      • John Cornelisse
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
          At 17:11 03-08-2003 +0200, you wrote:
          >Dear listmembers,
          >
          >For some time now, I have been printing from BASF's new digital WFH 95
          >HD photopolymer plate.

          by means of a special exposing unit commonly
          used in the flexography printing industry

          what's the cost of such a machine ? I'm pretty fond on my vertical camera,
          and I'm used to developing the plates.

          photographing all my adult life...

          >The advantage with this plate is that the platemaking company does not
          >need to output a negative film from the imagesetter first, but can
          >expose the plate directly, by means of a special exposing unit commonly
          >used in the flexography printing industry. The way it works is that the
          >plate surface has an integral black layer that is literally burnt off by
          >the laser, thus creating the black mask that is necessary for the
          >(second) exposure for the plate. The black mask disappears when the
          >plate is washed out.
          >
          >So, what are the benefits with this plate?
          >
          >- Lower total cost, since no imagesetter negative need to be output
          >
          >- One less generation in the image-forming chain, thus increasing the
          >quality
          >
          >- Reducing the risk of vacuum-related faults
          >
          >All the best,
          >Mats Broberg
          >
          >Stockholm - Sweden

          John Cornelisse

          Enkidu-Press, letterpress & type-founding, Apa 754
          Vaartstraat 23, 4553 AN Philippine, zeeuws vlaanderen
          The Netherlands, +31 (0) 115 491184
          email: enkidu@...

          'You are so handsome, Enkidu, you are just like a god !
          Why with the beast do you wander in the wild ?
          Come I will take you to Uruk-the-Sheepfold,
          to the sacred temple, home of Anu and Isthar,

          Where Gilgamesh is perfect in strength,
          like a wild bull lording it over the menfolk.
          So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
          he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

        • Mats Broberg
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
            > by means of a special exposing unit commonly
            > used in the flexography printing industry
            >
            > what's the cost of such a machine ? I'm pretty fond on my
            > vertical camera,
            > and I'm used to developing the plates.
            >
            > photographing all my adult life...

            John,

            Actually, I have no idea, but I suppose it is alot of money. Those
            commercial systems usually are.

            If you want to download a PDF product sheet, click on the "Overview"
            button on this page:

            http://www.basf-drucksysteme.de/e/pb/n/nylograv/index.shtml?navid=64

            All the best,
            Mats Broberg

            Stockholm - Sweden
          • Harold Kyle
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
              On 8/3/03 12:42 PM, "Mats Broberg" <mats.broberg@...>
              wrote:
              > Actually, I have no idea, but I suppose it is alot of money. Those
              > commercial systems usually are.

              True. I inquired about this equipment about two months ago. The plates must
              use a spark laser that costs around US$150,000. Efforts are underway to
              develop a more affordable laser in the range of US$70,000. I was told this
              new laser may be a few years out, if at all. The Nyloprint D material is
              approximately 20% more expensive than regular Nyloprint material. I
              understand other plate manufacturers are researching this as well; hopefully
              we'll see more innovations in the near future. I was under the impression
              that most reseach was oriented toward flexo plates, so it's reassuring that
              the BASF product has letterpress applications.

              Harold

              ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
              Boxcar Press
              640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
              315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
              www.boxcarpress.com
              ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
            • Michael T Metz
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
                Mats:

                Is this a cost decision on your part, or is it a quality
                issue for you? If it is a cost decision, can you share
                with us what the margin is?

                Thanks,
                Mike
              • Mats Broberg
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
                  Mike,

                  I would say both. Although the increase in quality may not be possible
                  to see, it does eliminate some crucial steps in the making of the plate.
                  The safety margin will increase, so to speak. When working with very
                  large plates (4-up or 8-up for bookwork, for example) I find this
                  increase in safety margin to be important.

                  Since I pay the same price for the digital plates as I did for the
                  analog plates ($0.38 per sq inch), I save the full cost of imagesetting
                  negatives every time I place an order. That adds up.

                  All the best,
                  Mats Broberg

                  Stockholm - Sweden

                  http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511