BASF's digital WFH 95 HD photopolymer plates

  • Mats Broberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
      Dear listmembers,

      For some time now, I have been printing from BASF's new digital WFH 95
      HD photopolymer plate.

      The advantage with this plate is that the platemaking company does not
      need to output a negative film from the imagesetter first, but can
      expose the plate directly, by means of a special exposing unit commonly
      used in the flexography printing industry. The way it works is that the
      plate surface has an integral black layer that is literally burnt off by
      the laser, thus creating the black mask that is necessary for the
      (second) exposure for the plate. The black mask disappears when the
      plate is washed out.

      So, what are the benefits with this plate?

      - Lower total cost, since no imagesetter negative need to be output

      - One less generation in the image-forming chain, thus increasing the
      quality

      - Reducing the risk of vacuum-related faults

      All the best,
      Mats Broberg

      Stockholm - Sweden
    • Bryce Erickson
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
        For some time now, I have been printing from BASF's new digital WFH 95
        HD photopolymer plate.

        Mats,

        Is your supplier able to cut the BASF plates to your required size, or
        reasonably close? I made inquiries to the Canadian BASF distributor and
        they only wanted to sell sheets approximately 3 by 4 feet and in carton
        quantities. (I don't recall the number of sheets per carton.)

        What resolution do you need to get a sharp laser burn of the surface
        blocking material?

        Regards,
        Bryce Erickson
        Saskatoon, SK anada
      • Mats Broberg
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
          Bryce,

          I don't expose and wash out these plates myself, but send my files to
          the platemaking company and get ready-to-print plates back.

          I can order as small plates as I want (from the platemaker), although
          they have a minimum plate charge of USD 20. This means I usually "mount"
          several designs with their individual trim and registration marks on a
          larger PDF page, send them to the platemaker, and then cut them in the
          printing office. This is a plastic-backed plate, so it is easy to cut.

          Regarding resolution, all the files I send to the supplier are 2540 dpi.
          Some people feel comfortable with less than that, however.

          Do you have a laser exposure unit? If so, I suppose you plan to expose
          the plates yourself and in that case the supplier (of unexposed plates)
          probably don't want to sell less than full sheets or a full package.

          All the best,
          Mats Broberg

          Stockholm - Sweden

          http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/mFXtlB/TM
        • John Cornelisse
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
            At 17:11 03-08-2003 +0200, you wrote:
            >Dear listmembers,
            >
            >For some time now, I have been printing from BASF's new digital WFH 95
            >HD photopolymer plate.

            by means of a special exposing unit commonly
            used in the flexography printing industry

            what's the cost of such a machine ? I'm pretty fond on my vertical camera,
            and I'm used to developing the plates.

            photographing all my adult life...

            >The advantage with this plate is that the platemaking company does not
            >need to output a negative film from the imagesetter first, but can
            >expose the plate directly, by means of a special exposing unit commonly
            >used in the flexography printing industry. The way it works is that the
            >plate surface has an integral black layer that is literally burnt off by
            >the laser, thus creating the black mask that is necessary for the
            >(second) exposure for the plate. The black mask disappears when the
            >plate is washed out.
            >
            >So, what are the benefits with this plate?
            >
            >- Lower total cost, since no imagesetter negative need to be output
            >
            >- One less generation in the image-forming chain, thus increasing the
            >quality
            >
            >- Reducing the risk of vacuum-related faults
            >
            >All the best,
            >Mats Broberg
            >
            >Stockholm - Sweden

            John Cornelisse

            Enkidu-Press, letterpress & type-founding, Apa 754
            Vaartstraat 23, 4553 AN Philippine, zeeuws vlaanderen
            The Netherlands, +31 (0) 115 491184
            email: enkidu@...

            'You are so handsome, Enkidu, you are just like a god !
            Why with the beast do you wander in the wild ?
            Come I will take you to Uruk-the-Sheepfold,
            to the sacred temple, home of Anu and Isthar,

            Where Gilgamesh is perfect in strength,
            like a wild bull lording it over the menfolk.
            So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
            he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

          • Mats Broberg
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
              > by means of a special exposing unit commonly
              > used in the flexography printing industry
              >
              > what's the cost of such a machine ? I'm pretty fond on my
              > vertical camera,
              > and I'm used to developing the plates.
              >
              > photographing all my adult life...

              John,

              Actually, I have no idea, but I suppose it is alot of money. Those
              commercial systems usually are.

              If you want to download a PDF product sheet, click on the "Overview"
              button on this page:

              http://www.basf-drucksysteme.de/e/pb/n/nylograv/index.shtml?navid=64

              All the best,
              Mats Broberg

              Stockholm - Sweden
            • Harold Kyle
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
                On 8/3/03 12:42 PM, "Mats Broberg" <mats.broberg@...>
                wrote:
                > Actually, I have no idea, but I suppose it is alot of money. Those
                > commercial systems usually are.

                True. I inquired about this equipment about two months ago. The plates must
                use a spark laser that costs around US$150,000. Efforts are underway to
                develop a more affordable laser in the range of US$70,000. I was told this
                new laser may be a few years out, if at all. The Nyloprint D material is
                approximately 20% more expensive than regular Nyloprint material. I
                understand other plate manufacturers are researching this as well; hopefully
                we'll see more innovations in the near future. I was under the impression
                that most reseach was oriented toward flexo plates, so it's reassuring that
                the BASF product has letterpress applications.

                Harold

                ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                Boxcar Press
                640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
                315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
                www.boxcarpress.com
                ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
              • Michael T Metz
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
                  Mats:

                  Is this a cost decision on your part, or is it a quality
                  issue for you? If it is a cost decision, can you share
                  with us what the margin is?

                  Thanks,
                  Mike
                • Mats Broberg
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
                    Mike,

                    I would say both. Although the increase in quality may not be possible
                    to see, it does eliminate some crucial steps in the making of the plate.
                    The safety margin will increase, so to speak. When working with very
                    large plates (4-up or 8-up for bookwork, for example) I find this
                    increase in safety margin to be important.

                    Since I pay the same price for the digital plates as I did for the
                    analog plates ($0.38 per sq inch), I save the full cost of imagesetting
                    negatives every time I place an order. That adds up.

                    All the best,
                    Mats Broberg

                    Stockholm - Sweden

                    http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511