Initiales Crystil

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26 8:22 PM
      Does anyone have a large size of the Deberny Peignot Initiales
      Crystil? I have several printed specimens, including one from the
      foundry, but ink spread on these may be obscuring what I need to know.
      I am uncertain if the inline incisement comes to a sharp point. I'm
      assuming it does, as a graduated upward movement? I do have access to
      a smaller size (24 point), in the metal casting, which seems to reveal
      this, but I was wondering about the larger sizes.

      Gerald
    • Mats Broberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 27 12:33 AM
        Gerald,

        There is a fairly good specimen in Valter Falk's monumental catalog of
        1,000 commented typefaces, with 900 printed specimens (Valter Falk:
        Bokstavsformer & typsnitt genom tiderna). As far as I can see it appears
        that the incisement comes to a sharp point.

        Unless you have a copy of this book, it's definitely worth investing in.
        Even though the text is in Swedish, and parts of Falk's history of
        earlier typefaces is a bit dated now, the 900 type specimens, along with
        the indices of typefaces, type designers, and foundries, form an
        important reference to anyone interested in these topics.

        I see that there are four copies for sale on www.abe.com at the moment.

        All the best,
        Mats Broberg

        Stockholm - Sweden

        http://www.LaserTonerSuperstore.com
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/YmQqWC/qicGAA/ySSFAA/mFXtlB/TM
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 27 1:26 AM
          Mats

          Thanks for this. I was unaware of the Falk catalog. Sounds like it is
          well worth the investment.

          Someone has generously sent me some photo scans of the 54 point(?). The
          incisement does follow through the size range. Interesting face. The
          tight angles appear to be trapped a bit but I can't be sure.

          At any rate, thanks for the response and the reference.

          You are into some interesting work I hope.

          Gerald

          Mats Broberg wrote:
          > Gerald,
          >
          > There is a fairly good specimen in Valter Falk's monumental catalog of
          > 1,000 commented typefaces, with 900 printed specimens (Valter Falk:
          > Bokstavsformer & typsnitt genom tiderna). As far as I can see it appears
          > that the incisement comes to a sharp point.
          >
          > Unless you have a copy of this book, it's definitely worth investing in.
          > Even though the text is in Swedish, and parts of Falk's history of
          > earlier typefaces is a bit dated now, the 900 type specimens, along with
          > the indices of typefaces, type designers, and foundries, form an
          > important reference to anyone interested in these topics.
          >
          > I see that there are four copies for sale on www.abe.com at the moment.
          >
          > All the best,
          > Mats Broberg
          >
          > Stockholm - Sweden
        • Mats Broberg
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2003
            Dear listmembers,

            Some of you might be interested in the following links to two Swedish
            digital typefoundries - Fontanova and Timberwolf Type.

            The former, run by Mr. Johan Ström, sells the typeface Indigo Antiqua,
            which, without a doubt, is one of the best traditional Roman typefaces
            for serious presswork having seen the light since Matthew Carter's
            Galliard. Rumour has it, Mr. Ström is working on an Opentype version,
            along with several new optical sizes.

            http://www.fontanova.se/e_indigo.html

            The latter, run by Mr. Lars Bergquist, sells a variety of very careful &
            high-quality re-creations of typefaces from 1500-1800. It is a rare
            thing to find a dozen typefaces of this quality designed by one single
            designer.

            http://www.timberwolf.a.se/?gcnkNxTaOI

            All the best,
            Mats broberg