Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: New Thread (PPL)

  • Mark Wilden
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2003
      From: "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...>

      > It may not have come out of the
      > blue, so to speak, as evidence of earlier printed materials, in
      > connection with the Church, are out there. Indulgences, etc., that have
      > been associated with Gutenberg and his various partners.

      I just read five minutes ago, "the first piece of printed matter showing an
      efficient use of the invention of movable types which can be dated with
      certainty is a printed form of _Indulgence_ of Nicholas V to such as should
      contribute money to aid the King of Cyprus against the Turks. A copy of this
      bears in MS. a contributor's name and the date 12 November 1454." (McKerrow,
      p.268). I did not know that.