Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: NEW THREAD

  • Mark Wilden
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 25, 2003
      From: "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...>

      >> A most rational, innovative and (to me) heretofore unknown rationale! On
      the
      >> other hand, Fust in Paris, before he died of the plague, was accused of
      >> counterfeiting manuscripts.

      > Thought he was on a selling trip. How do you counterfeit a manuscript?

      By purporting to sell something which it was not. To wit, a manuscript that
      was in fact mechanically rather than manually reproduced. Least, that's what
      I've read in the books...

      >Think counterfeiting was something that came along with printing.
      > Reproduction and all.

      Manuscript (as with other biological cum mechanical processes) is a form of
      reproduction, IMO <gd&r!>

      >>>Most of the copies of B42 were sold to the Church
      >
      >>This is a very important point, to contradict those who ascribe printing's
      >>success solely to the Reformation.
      >
      >Think its success was more due to the fact that it escaped the Mainz
      >authority "by which means it took further wing."

      Very interesting point!

      >Lot of roads to follow, bud.

      Agreed. That's why we're init.

      Thanks, Gerald.