Cutting sticks

  • RICHARD HORRIGAN
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2003
      Does anyone know a source for WOODEN cutting sticks for a Chandler and Price
      guillotine? The stick that is in place (and which will be destroyed if I
      attempt to remove it) is just under 26" long and about 21/2" on a side.
      I have only had success finding plastic or rubber cutting sticks, and they
      are not wide enough on a side.
      Thanks. Terry Horrigan, Protean Press, San Francisco
    • chuck sumner
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21, 2003
        my na graphics catalog shows wodden cutting sticks at 1/2" x 1/2" for
        $.09 per inch
        (970) 387 0212

        On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, RICHARD HORRIGAN wrote:

        > Does anyone know a source for WOODEN cutting sticks for a Chandler and Price
        > guillotine? The stick that is in place (and which will be destroyed if I
        > attempt to remove it) is just under 26" long and about 21/2" on a side.
        > I have only had success finding plastic or rubber cutting sticks, and they
        > are not wide enough on a side.
        > Thanks. Terry Horrigan, Protean Press, San Francisco

        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > • Encountering problems? contact:
        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > • To unsubscribe:

      • David Griffin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22, 2003
          By the way........is there anything special about the type of wood used for cutting sticks?
          I'm about to replace a stick for the first time on a used C&P I just bought and cleaned up.
          I'm wondering why I can't just cut to dimension a length of pine or oak or maple or.....what?
          Thanks, Dave
          Windswept Press

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 22, 2003
            Dave

            I'm quite sure that if you mill your own it will work quite nicely...

            Some time back I bought a self-healing cutting mat as wide as my cutter bed, and trimmed it to about 12 inches deep.

            Have been using that ever since, after raising the blade so it won't go further than a couple of mm into the surface.

            Just left the old stick in there, it was pretty beat up, but it's fine for the support backing.

            I use a slice of the cutting mat about four inches deep as pressure equalizer on top of my stock to minimize 'tooth-marks' from the pressure foot.

            cheers!

            Peter

            Remember, even the best cutter in the world only cuts one sheet at a time... the top sheet ;-)

            Peter Fraterdeus http://www.midsummernightstamps.com
            http://www.fraterdeus.com |* + * + * + Rubber Stamp Fine Art!

            http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting < * > Mac OS X