offset printing a letterpress design

  • carey johnson
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 16, 2003
      I have plans to offset print a letterpress design done with wood
      type. We'll print it it on a vandercook, then scan the art to create
      films. Does anyone have any cautionary advice for the process? Just
      wondering...

      All comments welcome.

      Thanks!
      Carey Johnson
    • M a n i f e s t o P r e s s
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 16, 2003
        My advice would be to avoid offset at all costs.

      • Ed Inman
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
          What might make a better art project would be to create a digital design,
          find a master woodcarver to replicate the design in wood type, then print
          1000 of them on a C&P.

          well, you did (after all) ask for "all comments"

          cheers & good luck,
          Ed

          I have plans to offset print a letterpress design done with wood
          type. We'll print it it on a vandercook, then scan the art to create
          films. Does anyone have any cautionary advice for the process? Just
          wondering...

          All comments welcome.

          Thanks!
          Carey Johnson

          PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          . Encountering problems? contact:
          PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          . To unsubscribe:

        • InkPotJim@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
            In a message dated 7/17/2003 4:04:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            edinman@... writes:

            > I have plans to offset print a letterpress design done with wood
            > type. We'll print it it on a vandercook, then scan the art to create
            > films. Does anyone have any cautionary advice for the process? Just
            > wondering...

            Carey,

            As someone with extensive offset experience and only a letterpress noob, let
            me give you the only advice that matters:

            Don't expect a scan of a letterpress print to live up to your expectations on
            an offset press.

            It's just not going to happen unless you spend a great deal of effort to
            print a very high line screen, and spring for professional photography of the
            print instead of a straight scan. Slapping a letterpress print on a scanner might
            be ok, but youre going to lose alot of the tactile dimensionality of the print
            due to the uniformity of light that scanners use. If the budget affords it,
            get a pro to light the print in a studio environment (thus emphasizing any
            embossment or textures that the letterpress process might have created) and shoot
            transparencies that then get scanned.

            Of course I live in a world of higher budget stuff, corporate budgets, etc.,
            and this advice might be wholly unpractical for you. Certainly direct scanning
            of a print will work, and look good if your scanner is top notch. Some
            digital tweaking might be necessary after the fact. Just don't expect a dead-on
            perfect reproduction and keep your expectations realisitc.

            Good luck!

            Jim Harrison
            DECA Design
            Gainesville. Florida

          • Mats Broberg
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
              > I have plans to offset print a letterpress design done with wood
              > type. We'll print it it on a vandercook, then scan the art to create
              > films. Does anyone have any cautionary advice for the process? Just
              > wondering...
              >
              > All comments welcome.
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Carey Johnson

              Carey,

              Jim makes good points about the problem involved in reproducing a
              letterpress printed item in offset.

              If you aim for expressing some of the tactile quality of the item, the
              way to go is probably to work with a professional photographer and spend
              a few hours in tweaking studio lighting. I recall a project a few years
              ago when I worked with a photographer to get a good image of a piece of
              watercolor artwork. At first we tried a traditional reprographic setup
              of the lights, merely to get a starting point, and the result was not
              impressive. We had to spend alot of time working with different angles
              and different types of lightsources to capture some of the
              three-dimensional qualities of the watercolor. If the goal is a mere
              facsimile, then it's another matter and a traditional reprographic setup
              of lighting may work.

              Your budget may or may not make it possible to work with a photographer,
              and if it doesn't, you can scan the item on a scanner. However, to get
              as good a result as possible you may prefer to have it scanned on a drum
              scanner at a commercial process engraving / prepress company. In the
              specs, many consumer-grade and semi-professional scanners compare well
              with high-end equipment, but there are more to it than color depth and
              resolution. Many times a skilled operator and an old Crosfield Magnascan
              (which took up half a room) creates results that, still, can be
              absolutely outstanding.

              When the time comes to the offset printing of the scan, you may want to
              contact a printing office who works with waterless offset, or FM screens
              / hybrid screens. Waterless offset makes it possible to reproduce your
              image using a finer screen, and FM screens (frequency modulated) and
              hybrid screens are methods to screen your image that have some
              advantages over traditional AM screens (amplitude modulated).

              Good luck and don't hesitate to drop me a line if you have more
              questions.

              Best regards,
              Mats Broberg

              Stockholm - Sweden
            • eroustom
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
                I'm curiouse if this had to be done on the cheap, with a straight desktop scan... I've got some art school printmaking ideas (as in no
                budget whatsoever) to lend on this question:
                My first suggestion would be to avoid the dot. Don't produce a half tone, but after you edit your (high res. grayscale) scan,
                produce line art (bitmap) - if you get it right, the only thing missing will be the impression. Second consider overprinting different
                proofs (with different densities of coverage) thereby producing a duotone, and adding some depth and complexity to the
                ink/color that is often missing from offset.

                Or find someone with a cylinder press to run the job for real (if I were to do it, I'd make a plate from a scan anyway - I wouldn't
                want to take a chance with clunky old wood type surviving 1000 impressions without the lock-up exploding).

                Good luck.

                Elias Roustom

              • Casey McGarr
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
                  I did a poster at Hatch Show Print and some tin designs and the one thing we
                  did for the poster was printing each color separate and scan those gray
                  scale in to the computer. Then in Photoshop save each file as tiff, then
                  bring the files into Quark Express and coloring the images there. The
                  transparent inks used in offset gave the same overprint impression as
                  letterpress printing plus you have more control. The only thing it didn't
                  have was the tactile feel but it was a great look.

                  My 2 cents,

                  ::
                  Casey McGarr
                  McGarr Creative
                  http://www.mcgarrcreative.com/
                • carey johnson
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
                    absolutely. i agree. however, this is constrained by the production
                    limitations set by an outside cd label, and i have the sense that we
                    don't have much of a choice over how it will be printed,
                    unfortunately.

                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Inman" <edinman@e...> wrote:
                    > What might make a better art project would be to create a digital
                    design,
                    > find a master woodcarver to replicate the design in wood type, then
                    print
                    > 1000 of them on a C&P.
                    >
                    > well, you did (after all) ask for "all comments"
                    >
                    > cheers & good luck,
                    > Ed

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • carey johnson
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
                      yes. good advice. if only it were do-able.

                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, M a n i f e s t o P r e s s

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
                        Jim

                        Thanks for the expectations mgmt. & excellent tip on the photography.
                        I really hadn't considered that I might need to have it photo'd and
                        *then* scan a transparency. I was thinking it would need to be a drum
                        scan, but had imagined I'd do it directly.

                        hmmm...

                      • carey johnson
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
                          Hej Mats,

                          Tack! Especially for the tip about going with waterless offset and
                          FM screens. I'll try to find out what printer they plan to use.

                          carey

                          <mats.broberg@a...> wrote:
> [...]
                          > with high-end equipment, but there are more to it than color depth
                          and
                          > resolution. Many times a skilled operator and an old Crosfield
                          Magnascan
                          > (which took up half a room) creates results that, still, can be
                          > absolutely outstanding.
                          >
                          > When the time comes to the offset printing of the scan, you may
                          want to
                          > contact a printing office who works with waterless offset, or FM
                          screens
                          > / hybrid screens. Waterless offset makes it possible to reproduce
                          your
                          > image using a finer screen, and FM screens (frequency modulated) and
                          > hybrid screens are methods to screen your image that have some
                          > advantages over traditional AM screens (amplitude modulated).
                          >
                          > Good luck and don't hesitate to drop me a line if you have more

                        • cmcgarr1957
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003

                            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "carey johnson" <
                            careysuejohnson@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                            > > with high-end equipment, but there are more to it than color depth
                            > and
                            > > resolution. Many times a skilled operator and an old Crosfield
                            > Magnascan
                            > > (which took up half a room) creates results that, still, can be
                            > > absolutely outstanding.
                            > >
                            > > When the time comes to the offset printing of the scan, you may
                            > want to
                            > > contact a printing office who works with waterless offset, or FM
                            > screens
                            > > / hybrid screens. Waterless offset makes it possible to reproduce
                            > your
                            > > image using a finer screen, and FM screens (frequency modulated) and
                            > > hybrid screens are methods to screen your image that have some
                            > > advantages over traditional AM screens (amplitude modulated).
                            > >
                            > > Good luck and don't hesitate to drop me a line if you have more

                          • carey johnson
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
                              I don't think it really needs to be done all that cheaply. But
                              frankly, I don't know the budget. It won't be large, mind you, but it
                              probably won't be nothing either. The thing is, the run will be
                              larger than can be happily produced on a Vandercook. And your point
                              about a run that big & chancing the type is well taken. I still don't
                              know the numbers of the run, either. At least a thousand. Likely more.

                              But are you suggesting that I print (proof) (on the vandercook) and
                              scan each color separately instead of going cmyk? (i.e. Go with
                              pantone spot color for all of it?) I was wondering if that might be a
                              way to go.... Sort of try to reproduce a spot color print on an
                              offset press... and scan each color with a slightly different line
                              screen? I think that seems like a cool idea.

                              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "eroustom" <ERoustom@w...>

                            • carey johnson
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
                                Casey,

                                (!) This is *very* *very* helpful. Did you get 4-color separations of
                                the whole image after you colored the tiffs? Or output each (spot)
                                color separately?

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
                                  because i don't have control over that part of the process. i'm hired
                                  by a music manager/producer who's shopping a recording to a label.
                                  and the label, i believe, is going to make that decision. i was asked
                                  to provide film. but they want letterpress art. if it were up to me,
                                  sure, i'd rather see it done letterpress. still, i think the point
                                  about doing a run of a thousand or more with wood type not being such
                                  a great idea is well taken anyhow...

                                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Michael T Metz <mtmetz@s...>

                                • Michael T Metz
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
                                      In a message dated 7/17/2003 12:31:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                      careysuejohnson@... writes:

                                      > i'm hired
                                      > by a music manager/producer who's shopping a recording to a label.
                                      > and the label, i believe, is going to make that decision. i was asked
                                      > to provide film. but they want letterpress art.

                                      Ah, the dreaded music manager and CD packaging job. Get your money up front!

                                      Just kidding.

                                      Most CD packaging is printed in gangs, or groups of more than one job at a
                                      time, making it a)cheap for the label, but b) impossible to control. Don't waste
                                      too much time with technical details of the printing process they're using
                                      then -- just concentrate on getting them the best film you can.

                                      I'll assume that since they've hired you to provide film, that it's money out
                                      of your pocket (which they may or may not have to reimburse you for,
                                      depending on your contract) to have transparencies and scans made, etc. If it falls
                                      under a reimburseable for you and they approve, go for the "raking light" and
                                      get a nice shot taken, then send them the bill.

                                      CD labels as a whole are printed 4-color en masse, unless you're REM or some
                                      other multi platinum artist that the record co. can afford to pull out all the
                                      stops for. So spot colors are the exception rather than the rule. Especially
                                      for printers that are putting 7 other CD labels on the same press sheet and
                                      can't afford to accomodate special requests. It's the same principle as the
                                      cheapo postcard printers. Your situation might be different, but there's a good
                                      chance what im describing is the situation youre in.

                                      And then like any good businessperson, you should then immediately remind
                                      them that you own the reproduction rights to the cover artwork beyond any use on
                                      CD covers, and "By the way, would the band or the label be interested in
                                      buying a limited edition of the actual letterpress artwork to give as gifts?".

                                      If you cant have an actual letterpressed CD cover, at least you can get some
                                      prints into the hands of someone who might appreciate them.

                                      Jim Harrison
                                      DECA Design
                                      Gainesville, FL

                                    • carey johnson
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
                                        Hm. Thanks. All smart things to keep in mind. And yes, I do believe
                                        that is the position I'm in. Also, I appreciate the tip about the
                                        gang printing methods for CD's. Hadn't thought about that. This one
                                        is a digipack thing. Don't know if that'll make a difference, but I
                                        believe you're right about the budget approach. We shall see...

                                      • cmcgarr1957
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
                                          each color scanned in and then colored in quark, spot color, not 4 color
                                          process.

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
                                            thank you!

                                            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "cmcgarr1957" <casey@m...>

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
                                              The printing can still be done letterpress without printing
                                              the full run with the wood type. Plates can be made from
                                              letterpress proofs much easier than what you will have to do
                                              to get a photograph to reproduce the effect. The end product
                                              can then be printed from the new plates.

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
                                                Thanks for the tip. We'll see what their budget is and whether we in
                                                fact will have any say in how it's printed. I appreciate your help.

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 17, 2003
                                                  Folks

                                                  You don't actually have to thank each and every poster who replies to
                                                  a post. That's thoughtful and considerate... but it does go a bit
                                                  against netiquette as the post goes to each and every member and
                                                  begins to fill up their mailbox. Could get a bit irritating to some
                                                  folks after a time. You can just post a thank you back to the
                                                  responder privately. Good way to make lasting friends. Also, if you do
                                                  respond to a post it is best and least intrusive to clip all the extra
                                                  material from previous posts to the thread, etc., before you hit the
                                                  return. Keep the pertinent material but delete the rest. Thanks.

                                                  Gerald Lange
                                                  Moderator