Re: New poll for PPLetterpress

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 16, 2003
      Carol

      I uploaded a scan from the first edition of PDT that has a section on
      making your own magnetic base. To be found in the File/How-to section.
      I took this out of the second edition.

      Gerald

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Carole Aldrich
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 7, 2003
        PPLetterpress group:

        What kind of press(es) do you commonly
        use for your letterpress work?

        o Flatbed cylinder proof press (Vandercook, et al)
        o Iron handpress (Albion, et al)
        o Flatbed cylinder production press (Heidelberg, et al)
        o Platen jobber press (Chandler & Price, et al)
        o Platen production press (Heidelberg, et al)
        o Other platen-based press
        o Other cylinder-based press

        web site listed above.

        Thanks!
      • PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 14, 2003
          PPLetterpress group:

          If you use photopolymer plates in your
          letterpress printing, please let us know
          your usual practice based on the
          following three options:

          o I have my photopolymer plates made by a commercial or semi-commercial processor.
          o I make my own photopolymer plates with a photopolymer platemaking machine (with exposing unit, washout, and drying components).
          o I make my own photopolymer plates using one or more alternative processing techniques (exposing, washout, or drying).

          web site listed above.

          Thanks!
        • PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 12, 2004
            PPLetterpress group:

            Please provide an indication of your
            activity in letterpress from the
            following categories. Since term
            definitions overlap, mark as many
            categories as you feel appropriate.

            o Hobby press or amateur press (including �occasional printer�)
            o Fine press or private press (primarily book printer-publisher)
            o Fine press or private press (printed matter, including occasional book work)
            o Commercial or semi-commercial letterpress printer (primarily book work)
            o Commercial or semi-commercial letterpress printer (primarily job work and/or specialty work)
            o Instructional or educational press (affiliated instructors)
            o Research or laboratory press (experimental or exploratory techniques)
            o Printer, compositor, designer (affiliated with other press or printer)
            o Apprentice, intern, student
            o Non-practitioner

            web site listed above.

            Thanks!
          • Austin Jones
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 13, 2004
              Gerald,

              From a curiosity standpoint, perhaps the poll is interesting. However, I
              think the effort may be misguided from the point that those who print as a
              hobby need to be as serious about the craft as anyone. Because they print
              for personal pleasure does not relieve them of the responsibility to know
              how and why. To separate the practitioners into classes does not promote
              harmony and co-operation.

              The effort to equate hobby printing with a lack of seriousness is a gross
              oversimplification of the issue.

              There is serious then there is serious. I think we can be serious to the
              point of loosing sight of the objective - Promote Letterpress Printing. We
              can be serious about an avocation just as much as a vocation.

              All the ranting about using the proper name for equipment is just that. It
              has given a lot of people an opportunity to use a lot of big words in many
              different ways to explain their belief that the world is round. What does
              that have to do with why we print?

              We are all one - Letterpress Printers. Forget the categories

              Austin Jones
              prints by AJ
              Point Pleasant, WV
              austin@...
              http://printsbyaj.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 13, 2004
                Austin

                The intent of the poll is the exact opposite of what you are assuming it to be. If there were only two or three categories I could understand your concern. But I think you may be bringing your own demarcation to the table. Seriousness is a non-issue.

                The information that is showing up is much more than a curiousity. The poll is designed to gather information on several fronts. It is a not an attempt to put folk into categories; it is a matter of trying to understand the breadth and diversity of the group and the variety of work that the members are doing. The whole of it should reveal that yes, we are all one (that is what participation is all about). My own interest is not how many more there may be in one category or another, but how the groups are perceived to intersect, and even more, what is the level of activity in the fringe areas.

                Gerald

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Jones" <austin@p...> wrote:
                > Gerald,
                >
                > From a curiosity standpoint, perhaps the poll is interesting. However, I
                > think the effort may be misguided from the point that those who
                print as a
                > hobby need to be as serious about the craft as anyone. Because they
                print
                > for personal pleasure does not relieve them of the responsibility to
                know
                > how and why. To separate the practitioners into classes does not promote
                > harmony and co-operation.
                >
                > The effort to equate hobby printing with a lack of seriousness is a
                gross
                > oversimplification of the issue.
                >
                > There is serious then there is serious. I think we can be serious to the
                > point of loosing sight of the objective - Promote Letterpress
                Printing. We
                > can be serious about an avocation just as much as a vocation.
                >
                > All the ranting about using the proper name for equipment is just
                that. It
                > has given a lot of people an opportunity to use a lot of big words
                in many
                > different ways to explain their belief that the world is round. What
                does
                > that have to do with why we print?
                >
                > We are all one - Letterpress Printers. Forget the categories
                >
                > Austin Jones
                > prints by AJ
                > Point Pleasant, WV
                > austin@p...
                > http://printsbyaj.com
              • Paul W Romaine
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 13, 2004
                  Surveys are always problematic because everyone is unique. And yet,
                  the "lumping" done by surveys can provide interesting insights.

                  When I was Vice President for Membership for the American Printing
                  History Association we had ongoing discussions about our membership.
                  Partly, we were trying to see our strengths and partly we were trying
                  to see what groups APHA appealed to. The results, which had a 30%
                  return rate (higher if you dropped institutional subscriptions)
                  confirmed some suspicions I had: about 40% were printers (split
                  between "professional" and "amateur" with more of the latter), a third
                  were librarians and a fifth were designers. The rest were a mix of
                  various practitioners and dedicated hobbyist amateurs. We had about
                  13% professional academics (but this included some librarians with
                  joint appointments wherein they worked and taught), and I found this
                  last result very ironic, given the number of printers who keep calling
                  APHA "an academic organization" or "a scholarly organization." It's
                  87% not.

                  Anyway, my point is that surveys are hard to design, especially when
                  it comes to names. I took a while to design the form because I sought
                  comments. We allowed people to identify themselves more than once and,
                  while that skewed results, it made people happier in responding. The
                  categories were:

                  Printer: Amateur
                  Printer: Professional
                  Designer
                  Librarian
                  Scholar: Independent
                  Scholar: Professional
                  Publisher
                  Calligrapher
                  Bookbinder: Amateur
                  Bookbinder: Conservator
                  Aficionado of [option]
                  Collector of [option]
                  Other [option]

                  "[option]" let you fill in the blank. (Despite the option blank, 1%
                  checked the option and wrote an essay.) "Professional" meant that you
                  were paid for the work, but we didn't define it.

                  Bookbinders had the lowest response rate (4% for each subcategory),
                  and we avoided the question of "fine" printing versus "job" printing.
                  It was wonderful to have respondents like the proprietors of the
                  Stinehour Press or the Arion Press cheek-by-jowel with the rest of us.
                  The responses were reviewed, tabulated, reported upon in the
                  newsletter and then a selection placed in the APHA archives at
                  Columbia. I included any fine examples of calligraphy or extensive
                  comments, so it wasn't necessarily a *representative* sampling.)

                  Paul

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...> wrote:

                  > Austin
                  >
                  > The intent of the poll is the exact opposite of what you are
                  assuming it to be. If there were only two or three categories I could
                  understand your concern. But I think you may be bringing your own
                  demarcation to the table. Seriousness is a non-issue.

                  > The information that is showing up is much more than a curiousity.
                  The poll is designed to gather information on several fronts. It is a
                  not an attempt to put folk into categories; it is a matter of trying
                  to understand the breadth and diversity of the group and the variety
                  of work that the members are doing. The whole of it should reveal that
                  yes, we are all one (that is what participation is all about). My own
                  interest is not how many more there may be in one category or another,
                  but how the groups are perceived to intersect, and even more, what is
                  the level of activity in the fringe areas.

                  > Gerald

                • Regis Graden
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 13, 2004
                    Austin,

                    I don't really want to reply to your statement. All I want to state is that correct and accurate terminology in printing is of up-most importance. Most especially when working as a team. You want a mut or a nut, a lead or a 6 pt slug. Spacing material is another whole game. Full bleed, gutter and fore edge margin. Is it a type drawer or a case? Is it a paper cutter blade or a knife? Is it black over a tint block? and on and on. The language of printers is just basic...we learn how to communicate correctly with each other and do the basic chores like lock up with quoins at top and right we don't have to even think about it. More time to make the design and actual printing decisions and solving the unusual problems.

                    I don't know why I care,

                    Regis

                    Austin Jones <austin@...> wrote: Gerald,

                    From a curiosity standpoint, perhaps the poll is interesting. However, I
[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 12, 2006
                      PPLetterpress group:

                      This poll is being conducted to determine the subject focus of the membership. Please indicate your main letterpress focus or concern.

                      o fine press printing and book publishing
                      o invitation and poster printing
                      o mixed media printmaking
                      o personal or hobby printing
                      o other or non-printing related

                      web site listed above.

                      Thanks!
                    • Lance Williams
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 12, 2006
                        Gerald,

                        Should add Commercial Letterpress Printer to the categories for people like
                        me <grin>

                        - Lance Williams
                        Williams Stationery Co.
                        Camden, New York
                        APA #785

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 12, 2006
                          Lance

                          There is a previous poll that somewhat addresses this. In this case we
                          are looking for more of a media focus, whether commercial or not. And not!!!

                          The list has grown significantly in the last year, most new members are
                          also new entries to the field (not yet commercial or would be
                          commercial), and we do need to know the breadth of the membership's
                          interests and thus the direction such concerns might dictate.

                          Lance Williams wrote:

                          >Gerald,
                          >
                          >Should add Commercial Letterpress Printer to the categories for people like
                          >me <grin>
                          >
                          >- Lance Williams
                          >Williams Stationery Co.
                          >Camden, New York
                          >APA #785

                        • midkansasman
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 12, 2006
                            I cast my vote under "other" because I do work for a
                            museum with an 1870's style print/shop newspaper so I
                            am interested in the historical aspects of printing
                            during the period of about 1865-1880. I just wondered
                            if there is anyone else out there attached to a
                            museum. I'd like some ideas.
                            Our museum director thinks she is Walt Disney and
                            wants "hands-on" stuff for all the school kids that
                            visit. I hate when 30 some kids come in and destroy
                            things I've set and start abusing the treadle presses
                            before I can stop them. I've pointed out the dangers
                            of having kids running around a print shop - like
                            platen presses, slug cutters, cases full of heavy
                            type, jars of kerosene and mineral spirits, the
                            guillotine, to name a few - but it seems to have
                            fallen on deaf ears. Does anyone have any good horror
                            stories?
                            When there are groups, I pretty much give up on
                            talking and showing stuff and just stand over a press
                            while they all "print" their own souvenir by turning
                            the flywheel. I insert and remove the paper. But even
                            doing it this way, there have been several "close
                            calls" like when some kid will stick his/her arm
                            through the spokes of the flywheel or otherwise get
                            too close to the platen or gears and other moving
                            parts. Also while I am supervising this activity,
                            other kids are getting into things and sometimes
                            stealing type or vandalizing (they think an imposing
                            table is something on which to carve their initials!).
                            I have just about resigned as a volunteer because the
                            thought of a kid getting maimed in my shop is
                            something I don't want to face. They think I hate kids
                            and I don't - I hate the idiots who think that just
                            because it is a museum that it isn't still a dangerous
                            industrial site! I'd appreciate any
                            comments/suggestions. I've seen lots of "static" press
                            museums where you just look at the old presses behind
                            a barrier, but in this museum is a "living history"
                            museum where we play dress up and take on roles and do
                            typesetting and printing. We have made devices to keep
                            the machines from turning but they are easily
                            disabled. Thanks

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Graham and Kathy
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 12, 2006
                              Organised groups of school children on out of school trips should be
                              supervised with a ratio of five children to one adult. I don't think I'd let
                              them in the workshop with more than that. And a lot of pre-visit work too.

                              Graham Moss
                              Incline Press
                              36 Bow Street
                              Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                              http://www.inclinepress.com

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 13, 2006
                                Hi

                                I'm not sure I can be of any help here except to suggest that Letpress
                                really is the main letterpress list for museum, hobby, linecasting,
                                machine comp, etc concerns. And it's pretty much "on" just about 24
                                hours a day.

                                https://listserv.unb.ca/archives/letpress.html

                                Studio letterpress is in the midst of change and PPL is just trying to
                                figure out what exactly that change is. Thus the poll. We are not
                                trying to compete with other lists but actually just trying to find
                                our own. And, while we can guess what that might be, it sure helps to
                                know what the membership itself has to say.

                                I hate to say this, but the most vivid horror story may be the one
                                that eventually befalls you. You are correct in being concerned. I,
                                and I am sure others, would be willing to write to your director on
                                your behalf. The problem, of course, is closure out of concern for
                                liability.

                                In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, midkansasman <midkansasman@...> wrote:

                                > I cast my vote under "other" because I do work for a
                                > museum with an 1870's style print/shop newspaper so I
                                > am interested in the historical aspects of printing
                                > during the period of about 1865-1880. I just wondered
                                > if there is anyone else out there attached to a
                                > museum. I'd like some ideas.
                                > Our museum director thinks she is Walt Disney and
                                > wants "hands-on" stuff for all the school kids that
                                > visit. I hate when 30 some kids come in and destroy
                                > things I've set and start abusing the treadle presses
                                > before I can stop them. I've pointed out the dangers
                                > of having kids running around a print shop - like
                                > platen presses, slug cutters, cases full of heavy
                                > type, jars of kerosene and mineral spirits, the
                                > guillotine, to name a few - but it seems to have
                                > fallen on deaf ears. Does anyone have any good horror
                                > stories?
                                > When there are groups, I pretty much give up on
                                > talking and showing stuff and just stand over a press
                                > while they all "print" their own souvenir by turning
                                > the flywheel. I insert and remove the paper. But even
                                > doing it this way, there have been several "close
                                > calls" like when some kid will stick his/her arm
                                > through the spokes of the flywheel or otherwise get
                                > too close to the platen or gears and other moving
                                > parts. Also while I am supervising this activity,
                                > other kids are getting into things and sometimes
                                > stealing type or vandalizing (they think an imposing
                                > table is something on which to carve their initials!).
                                > I have just about resigned as a volunteer because the
                                > thought of a kid getting maimed in my shop is
                                > something I don't want to face. They think I hate kids
                                > and I don't - I hate the idiots who think that just
                                > because it is a museum that it isn't still a dangerous
                                > industrial site! I'd appreciate any
                                > comments/suggestions. I've seen lots of "static" press
                                > museums where you just look at the old presses behind
                                > a barrier, but in this museum is a "living history"
                                > museum where we play dress up and take on roles and do
                                > typesetting and printing. We have made devices to keep
                                > the machines from turning but they are easily
                                > disabled. Thanks

                                > http://mail.yahoo.com

                              • enkidu
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 13, 2006
                                  Hi,

                                  the museum I'm working has the possibility to entertain children, but
                                  this is very strick organized.

                                  see: www.letterpress.ch the: Ecomusée Voltaire

                                  it is possible to do it in a right way for sure, and for the children
                                  it is a big surprise, they can actually print.

                                  I know another museum, that has the policy, that any machine should be
                                  approciable... there all kind of valuable unreplacables are disappearing,
                                  but the board there consists of a couple of historians, that are not interested
                                  at all in machines and they are totaly ignorant in technique.

                                  The other name I won't tell.

                                  Best wishes

                                  John

> [...]

                                  > too close to the platen or gears and other moving
                                  > parts. Also while I am supervising this activity,
                                  > other kids are getting into things and sometimes
                                  > stealing type or vandalizing (they think an imposing
                                  > table is something on which to carve their initials!).
                                  > I have just about resigned as a volunteer because the
                                  > thought of a kid getting maimed in my shop is
                                  > something I don't want to face. They think I hate kids
                                  > and I don't - I hate the idiots who think that just
                                  > because it is a museum that it isn't still a dangerous
                                  > industrial site! I'd appreciate any
                                  > comments/suggestions. I've seen lots of "static" press
                                  > museums where you just look at the old presses behind
                                  > a barrier, but in this museum is a "living history"
                                  > museum where we play dress up and take on roles and do
                                  > typesetting and printing. We have made devices to keep
                                  > the machines from turning but they are easily

                                  Book cover design <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+cover+design&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+publishing&c=4&s=86&.sig=yZvNe_RUcZumdQShej6McA> Design book <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Design+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+publishing&c=4&s=86&.sig=MlMV5_o1zU3hR6Dn249Lew> Graphic design book <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Graphic+design+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+publishing&c=4&s=86&.sig=2ZRdQnnKJvG3s20a_gW4TA>

                                  _____

                                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                  _____
                                • Frederick Smith
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 13, 2006
                                    If she really wants to give hands on classes, perhaps you can suggest that
                                    the museum purchase equipment that kids can use with little danger to
                                    themselves. A couple of small, Kelsey style presses and some easily replaced
                                    cheap furniture.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 31, 2006
                                      PPLetterpress group:

                                      What would you be willing to pay for a newly manufactured
                                      hand-operated flatbed cylinder press?

                                      Let us assume such a press was precision made with lock
                                      down adjustable inking rollers, accurate registration and
                                      inking system, adjustable cylinder packing mechanism, and
                                      utilized state of the art engineering and mechanics, with
                                      dependable and easily replaceable standard industrial
                                      supply parts.

                                      o Not interested.
                                      o $5,000 or less
                                      o $5,000 to $10,000