Re: [PPLetterpress] New poll for PPLetterpress

  • Carole Aldrich
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 15, 2003
      Will the person who answered the poll "homemade magnetic base"
      provide directions and materials, please.
      --
      Carole M Aldrich
      Voice 909.625.7722

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 16, 2003
        Carol

        I uploaded a scan from the first edition of PDT that has a section on
        making your own magnetic base. To be found in the File/How-to section.
        I took this out of the second edition.

        Gerald

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Carole Aldrich
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 7, 2003
          PPLetterpress group:

          What kind of press(es) do you commonly
          use for your letterpress work?

          o Flatbed cylinder proof press (Vandercook, et al)
          o Iron handpress (Albion, et al)
          o Flatbed cylinder production press (Heidelberg, et al)
          o Platen jobber press (Chandler & Price, et al)
          o Platen production press (Heidelberg, et al)
          o Other platen-based press
          o Other cylinder-based press

          web site listed above.

          Thanks!
        • PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 14, 2003
            PPLetterpress group:

            If you use photopolymer plates in your
            letterpress printing, please let us know
            your usual practice based on the
            following three options:

            o I have my photopolymer plates made by a commercial or semi-commercial processor.
            o I make my own photopolymer plates with a photopolymer platemaking machine (with exposing unit, washout, and drying components).
            o I make my own photopolymer plates using one or more alternative processing techniques (exposing, washout, or drying).

            web site listed above.

            Thanks!
          • PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 12, 2004
              PPLetterpress group:

              Please provide an indication of your
              activity in letterpress from the
              following categories. Since term
              definitions overlap, mark as many
              categories as you feel appropriate.

              o Hobby press or amateur press (including �occasional printer�)
              o Fine press or private press (primarily book printer-publisher)
              o Fine press or private press (printed matter, including occasional book work)
              o Commercial or semi-commercial letterpress printer (primarily book work)
              o Commercial or semi-commercial letterpress printer (primarily job work and/or specialty work)
              o Instructional or educational press (affiliated instructors)
              o Research or laboratory press (experimental or exploratory techniques)
              o Printer, compositor, designer (affiliated with other press or printer)
              o Apprentice, intern, student
              o Non-practitioner

              web site listed above.

              Thanks!
            • Austin Jones
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 13, 2004
                Gerald,

                From a curiosity standpoint, perhaps the poll is interesting. However, I
                think the effort may be misguided from the point that those who print as a
                hobby need to be as serious about the craft as anyone. Because they print
                for personal pleasure does not relieve them of the responsibility to know
                how and why. To separate the practitioners into classes does not promote
                harmony and co-operation.

                The effort to equate hobby printing with a lack of seriousness is a gross
                oversimplification of the issue.

                There is serious then there is serious. I think we can be serious to the
                point of loosing sight of the objective - Promote Letterpress Printing. We
                can be serious about an avocation just as much as a vocation.

                All the ranting about using the proper name for equipment is just that. It
                has given a lot of people an opportunity to use a lot of big words in many
                different ways to explain their belief that the world is round. What does
                that have to do with why we print?

                We are all one - Letterpress Printers. Forget the categories

                Austin Jones
                prints by AJ
                Point Pleasant, WV
                austin@...
                http://printsbyaj.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 13, 2004
                  Austin

                  The intent of the poll is the exact opposite of what you are assuming it to be. If there were only two or three categories I could understand your concern. But I think you may be bringing your own demarcation to the table. Seriousness is a non-issue.

                  The information that is showing up is much more than a curiousity. The poll is designed to gather information on several fronts. It is a not an attempt to put folk into categories; it is a matter of trying to understand the breadth and diversity of the group and the variety of work that the members are doing. The whole of it should reveal that yes, we are all one (that is what participation is all about). My own interest is not how many more there may be in one category or another, but how the groups are perceived to intersect, and even more, what is the level of activity in the fringe areas.

                  Gerald

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Jones" <austin@p...> wrote:
                  > Gerald,
                  >
                  > From a curiosity standpoint, perhaps the poll is interesting. However, I
                  > think the effort may be misguided from the point that those who
                  print as a
                  > hobby need to be as serious about the craft as anyone. Because they
                  print
                  > for personal pleasure does not relieve them of the responsibility to
                  know
                  > how and why. To separate the practitioners into classes does not promote
                  > harmony and co-operation.
                  >
                  > The effort to equate hobby printing with a lack of seriousness is a
                  gross
                  > oversimplification of the issue.
                  >
                  > There is serious then there is serious. I think we can be serious to the
                  > point of loosing sight of the objective - Promote Letterpress
                  Printing. We
                  > can be serious about an avocation just as much as a vocation.
                  >
                  > All the ranting about using the proper name for equipment is just
                  that. It
                  > has given a lot of people an opportunity to use a lot of big words
                  in many
                  > different ways to explain their belief that the world is round. What
                  does
                  > that have to do with why we print?
                  >
                  > We are all one - Letterpress Printers. Forget the categories
                  >
                  > Austin Jones
                  > prints by AJ
                  > Point Pleasant, WV
                  > austin@p...
                  > http://printsbyaj.com
                • Paul W Romaine
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 13, 2004
                    Surveys are always problematic because everyone is unique. And yet,
                    the "lumping" done by surveys can provide interesting insights.

                    When I was Vice President for Membership for the American Printing
                    History Association we had ongoing discussions about our membership.
                    Partly, we were trying to see our strengths and partly we were trying
                    to see what groups APHA appealed to. The results, which had a 30%
                    return rate (higher if you dropped institutional subscriptions)
                    confirmed some suspicions I had: about 40% were printers (split
                    between "professional" and "amateur" with more of the latter), a third
                    were librarians and a fifth were designers. The rest were a mix of
                    various practitioners and dedicated hobbyist amateurs. We had about
                    13% professional academics (but this included some librarians with
                    joint appointments wherein they worked and taught), and I found this
                    last result very ironic, given the number of printers who keep calling
                    APHA "an academic organization" or "a scholarly organization." It's
                    87% not.

                    Anyway, my point is that surveys are hard to design, especially when
                    it comes to names. I took a while to design the form because I sought
                    comments. We allowed people to identify themselves more than once and,
                    while that skewed results, it made people happier in responding. The
                    categories were:

                    Printer: Amateur
                    Printer: Professional
                    Designer
                    Librarian
                    Scholar: Independent
                    Scholar: Professional
                    Publisher
                    Calligrapher
                    Bookbinder: Amateur
                    Bookbinder: Conservator
                    Aficionado of [option]
                    Collector of [option]
                    Other [option]

                    "[option]" let you fill in the blank. (Despite the option blank, 1%
                    checked the option and wrote an essay.) "Professional" meant that you
                    were paid for the work, but we didn't define it.

                    Bookbinders had the lowest response rate (4% for each subcategory),
                    and we avoided the question of "fine" printing versus "job" printing.
                    It was wonderful to have respondents like the proprietors of the
                    Stinehour Press or the Arion Press cheek-by-jowel with the rest of us.
                    The responses were reviewed, tabulated, reported upon in the
                    newsletter and then a selection placed in the APHA archives at
                    Columbia. I included any fine examples of calligraphy or extensive
                    comments, so it wasn't necessarily a *representative* sampling.)

                    Paul

                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...> wrote:

                    > Austin
                    >
                    > The intent of the poll is the exact opposite of what you are
                    assuming it to be. If there were only two or three categories I could
                    understand your concern. But I think you may be bringing your own
                    demarcation to the table. Seriousness is a non-issue.

                    > The information that is showing up is much more than a curiousity.
                    The poll is designed to gather information on several fronts. It is a
                    not an attempt to put folk into categories; it is a matter of trying
                    to understand the breadth and diversity of the group and the variety
                    of work that the members are doing. The whole of it should reveal that
                    yes, we are all one (that is what participation is all about). My own
                    interest is not how many more there may be in one category or another,
                    but how the groups are perceived to intersect, and even more, what is
                    the level of activity in the fringe areas.

                    > Gerald

                  • Regis Graden
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 13, 2004
                      Austin,

                      I don't really want to reply to your statement. All I want to state is that correct and accurate terminology in printing is of up-most importance. Most especially when working as a team. You want a mut or a nut, a lead or a 6 pt slug. Spacing material is another whole game. Full bleed, gutter and fore edge margin. Is it a type drawer or a case? Is it a paper cutter blade or a knife? Is it black over a tint block? and on and on. The language of printers is just basic...we learn how to communicate correctly with each other and do the basic chores like lock up with quoins at top and right we don't have to even think about it. More time to make the design and actual printing decisions and solving the unusual problems.

                      I don't know why I care,

                      Regis

                      Austin Jones <austin@...> wrote: Gerald,

                      From a curiosity standpoint, perhaps the poll is interesting. However, I
[...]

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    • PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 12, 2006
                        PPLetterpress group:

                        This poll is being conducted to determine the subject focus of the membership. Please indicate your main letterpress focus or concern.

                        o fine press printing and book publishing
                        o invitation and poster printing
                        o mixed media printmaking
                        o personal or hobby printing
                        o other or non-printing related

                        web site listed above.

                        Thanks!
                      • Lance Williams
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 12, 2006
                          Gerald,

                          Should add Commercial Letterpress Printer to the categories for people like
                          me <grin>

                          - Lance Williams
                          Williams Stationery Co.
                          Camden, New York
                          APA #785

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 12, 2006
                            Lance

                            There is a previous poll that somewhat addresses this. In this case we
                            are looking for more of a media focus, whether commercial or not. And not!!!

                            The list has grown significantly in the last year, most new members are
                            also new entries to the field (not yet commercial or would be
                            commercial), and we do need to know the breadth of the membership's
                            interests and thus the direction such concerns might dictate.

                            Lance Williams wrote:

                            >Gerald,
                            >
                            >Should add Commercial Letterpress Printer to the categories for people like
                            >me <grin>
                            >
                            >- Lance Williams
                            >Williams Stationery Co.
                            >Camden, New York
                            >APA #785

                          • midkansasman
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 12, 2006
                              I cast my vote under "other" because I do work for a
                              museum with an 1870's style print/shop newspaper so I
                              am interested in the historical aspects of printing
                              during the period of about 1865-1880. I just wondered
                              if there is anyone else out there attached to a
                              museum. I'd like some ideas.
                              Our museum director thinks she is Walt Disney and
                              wants "hands-on" stuff for all the school kids that
                              visit. I hate when 30 some kids come in and destroy
                              things I've set and start abusing the treadle presses
                              before I can stop them. I've pointed out the dangers
                              of having kids running around a print shop - like
                              platen presses, slug cutters, cases full of heavy
                              type, jars of kerosene and mineral spirits, the
                              guillotine, to name a few - but it seems to have
                              fallen on deaf ears. Does anyone have any good horror
                              stories?
                              When there are groups, I pretty much give up on
                              talking and showing stuff and just stand over a press
                              while they all "print" their own souvenir by turning
                              the flywheel. I insert and remove the paper. But even
                              doing it this way, there have been several "close
                              calls" like when some kid will stick his/her arm
                              through the spokes of the flywheel or otherwise get
                              too close to the platen or gears and other moving
                              parts. Also while I am supervising this activity,
                              other kids are getting into things and sometimes
                              stealing type or vandalizing (they think an imposing
                              table is something on which to carve their initials!).
                              I have just about resigned as a volunteer because the
                              thought of a kid getting maimed in my shop is
                              something I don't want to face. They think I hate kids
                              and I don't - I hate the idiots who think that just
                              because it is a museum that it isn't still a dangerous
                              industrial site! I'd appreciate any
                              comments/suggestions. I've seen lots of "static" press
                              museums where you just look at the old presses behind
                              a barrier, but in this museum is a "living history"
                              museum where we play dress up and take on roles and do
                              typesetting and printing. We have made devices to keep
                              the machines from turning but they are easily
                              disabled. Thanks

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Graham and Kathy
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 12, 2006
                                Organised groups of school children on out of school trips should be
                                supervised with a ratio of five children to one adult. I don't think I'd let
                                them in the workshop with more than that. And a lot of pre-visit work too.

                                Graham Moss
                                Incline Press
                                36 Bow Street
                                Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                                http://www.inclinepress.com

                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 13, 2006
                                  Hi

                                  I'm not sure I can be of any help here except to suggest that Letpress
                                  really is the main letterpress list for museum, hobby, linecasting,
                                  machine comp, etc concerns. And it's pretty much "on" just about 24
                                  hours a day.

                                  https://listserv.unb.ca/archives/letpress.html

                                  Studio letterpress is in the midst of change and PPL is just trying to
                                  figure out what exactly that change is. Thus the poll. We are not
                                  trying to compete with other lists but actually just trying to find
                                  our own. And, while we can guess what that might be, it sure helps to
                                  know what the membership itself has to say.

                                  I hate to say this, but the most vivid horror story may be the one
                                  that eventually befalls you. You are correct in being concerned. I,
                                  and I am sure others, would be willing to write to your director on
                                  your behalf. The problem, of course, is closure out of concern for
                                  liability.

                                  In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, midkansasman <midkansasman@...> wrote:

                                  > I cast my vote under "other" because I do work for a
                                  > museum with an 1870's style print/shop newspaper so I
                                  > am interested in the historical aspects of printing
                                  > during the period of about 1865-1880. I just wondered
                                  > if there is anyone else out there attached to a
                                  > museum. I'd like some ideas.
                                  > Our museum director thinks she is Walt Disney and
                                  > wants "hands-on" stuff for all the school kids that
                                  > visit. I hate when 30 some kids come in and destroy
                                  > things I've set and start abusing the treadle presses
                                  > before I can stop them. I've pointed out the dangers
                                  > of having kids running around a print shop - like
                                  > platen presses, slug cutters, cases full of heavy
                                  > type, jars of kerosene and mineral spirits, the
                                  > guillotine, to name a few - but it seems to have
                                  > fallen on deaf ears. Does anyone have any good horror
                                  > stories?
                                  > When there are groups, I pretty much give up on
                                  > talking and showing stuff and just stand over a press
                                  > while they all "print" their own souvenir by turning
                                  > the flywheel. I insert and remove the paper. But even
                                  > doing it this way, there have been several "close
                                  > calls" like when some kid will stick his/her arm
                                  > through the spokes of the flywheel or otherwise get
                                  > too close to the platen or gears and other moving
                                  > parts. Also while I am supervising this activity,
                                  > other kids are getting into things and sometimes
                                  > stealing type or vandalizing (they think an imposing
                                  > table is something on which to carve their initials!).
                                  > I have just about resigned as a volunteer because the
                                  > thought of a kid getting maimed in my shop is
                                  > something I don't want to face. They think I hate kids
                                  > and I don't - I hate the idiots who think that just
                                  > because it is a museum that it isn't still a dangerous
                                  > industrial site! I'd appreciate any
                                  > comments/suggestions. I've seen lots of "static" press
                                  > museums where you just look at the old presses behind
                                  > a barrier, but in this museum is a "living history"
                                  > museum where we play dress up and take on roles and do
                                  > typesetting and printing. We have made devices to keep
                                  > the machines from turning but they are easily
                                  > disabled. Thanks

                                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                • enkidu
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 13, 2006
                                    Hi,

                                    the museum I'm working has the possibility to entertain children, but
                                    this is very strick organized.

                                    see: www.letterpress.ch the: Ecomusée Voltaire

                                    it is possible to do it in a right way for sure, and for the children
                                    it is a big surprise, they can actually print.

                                    I know another museum, that has the policy, that any machine should be
                                    approciable... there all kind of valuable unreplacables are disappearing,
                                    but the board there consists of a couple of historians, that are not interested
                                    at all in machines and they are totaly ignorant in technique.

                                    The other name I won't tell.

                                    Best wishes

                                    John

> [...]

                                    > too close to the platen or gears and other moving
                                    > parts. Also while I am supervising this activity,
                                    > other kids are getting into things and sometimes
                                    > stealing type or vandalizing (they think an imposing
                                    > table is something on which to carve their initials!).
                                    > I have just about resigned as a volunteer because the
                                    > thought of a kid getting maimed in my shop is
                                    > something I don't want to face. They think I hate kids
                                    > and I don't - I hate the idiots who think that just
                                    > because it is a museum that it isn't still a dangerous
                                    > industrial site! I'd appreciate any
                                    > comments/suggestions. I've seen lots of "static" press
                                    > museums where you just look at the old presses behind
                                    > a barrier, but in this museum is a "living history"
                                    > museum where we play dress up and take on roles and do
                                    > typesetting and printing. We have made devices to keep
                                    > the machines from turning but they are easily

                                    Book cover design <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+cover+design&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+publishing&c=4&s=86&.sig=yZvNe_RUcZumdQShej6McA> Design book <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Design+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+publishing&c=4&s=86&.sig=MlMV5_o1zU3hR6Dn249Lew> Graphic design book <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Graphic+design+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+publishing&c=4&s=86&.sig=2ZRdQnnKJvG3s20a_gW4TA>

                                    _____

                                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                    _____
                                  • Frederick Smith
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 13, 2006
                                      If she really wants to give hands on classes, perhaps you can suggest that
                                      the museum purchase equipment that kids can use with little danger to
                                      themselves. A couple of small, Kelsey style presses and some easily replaced
                                      cheap furniture.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 31 12:50 AM
                                        PPLetterpress group:

                                        What would you be willing to pay for a newly manufactured
                                        hand-operated flatbed cylinder press?

                                        Let us assume such a press was precision made with lock
                                        down adjustable inking rollers, accurate registration and
                                        inking system, adjustable cylinder packing mechanism, and
                                        utilized state of the art engineering and mechanics, with
                                        dependable and easily replaceable standard industrial
                                        supply parts.

                                        o Not interested.
                                        o $5,000 or less
                                        o $5,000 to $10,000