[Fwd: Re: [PPLetterpress] Plate cracking]

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2003
      Hi Gerald, I still can't post, please post for me.

      Here's an answer for this guy:

      The short answer is that his plates were too dry, and were allowed to
      continue drying.

      The long answer: of the variable physical properties of photopolymer is its
      moisture content. Exposing and baking the plates is all about affecting that
      - and the plates do not loose their sensitivity to moisture after
      processing. If a plate was exposed or baked for too long, it will be very
      dry, if it isn't wrapped in plastic to hold what little moisture is left in
      it, it will continue to loose moisture until it begins to curl, and then
      crack (because its contracting faster than the steel is).
      If a plate curls, but has not cracked yet, it can be soaked in water
      again, until it's soft enough to flatten (which it may do by itself), a
      brief dry (bake) and then another (short) post expose should make it like
      new.

      Or it could be a strange temperature situation that affected the polymer one
      way, and the steel the other - but since I've had this happen to me a number
      of times - the moisture principle is what's more likely to be working in
      this case.

      When processing without machine (uncontolled, in other words) anything can
      happen, so it would be nearly impossible to pin down what, in his process,
      went wrong. I'd try to make sure water temperature, and baking temperatures
      are not too high, and the time limits are not being exceeded, then I'd wrap
      those plates in platic right after processing. Platic wrap comes in many
      different forms - not all trap moistre (Saran brand is the only one I've
      found to work).

      I hope that helps.

      Elias
      Em Press - New Bedford, MA