Plate cracking

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11, 2003
      A fellow called me up the other day regarding his plates cracking and
      wondered if I knew the reason. He exposed these with a "light box" and
      washed them out by hand in the "bathtub." He made about nine of them
      and they all cracked the next day. These were "thick" steel-backed
      Solarplates.

      I could make some guesses but have no real clue as to what the problem
      is. Anyone else ever experience this?

      Gerald
    • thronobulx@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2003
        Where does he live?

        My plates crack like hell in the winter when the conditions in the shop are
        most arid. In the summer when the humidity is very high there is almost no
        cracking.

        Its one of the trade-offs of poylmer.

        Most likely the gent is not drying his plates long enough before post
        exposing. Unless he is using the solar method, which I know nothing of.

        JS

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2003
          Hi

          He lives in San Diego, not far from the ocean. He talked to Gene Becker and was told it was probably the humidity. But I live in Marina del Rey, a block from the
          ocean (which I haven't seen in years), and have never had a problem like this. I would have thought aridity as well. Perhaps a combination of too long exposure, too long drying, etc, as Elias suggested.

          Gerald

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, thronobulx@a... wrote:
          > Where does he live?
          >
          > My plates crack like hell in the winter when the conditions in the
          shop are
          > most arid. In the summer when the humidity is very high there is
          almost no
          > cracking.
          >
          > Its one of the trade-offs of poylmer.
          >
          > Most likely the gent is not drying his plates long enough before post
          > exposing. Unless he is using the solar method, which I know nothing of.
          >
          > JS

        • Mark Wilden
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 11, 2003
            From: "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...>

            > He lives in San Diego, not far from the ocean. He talked to Gene Becker
            and was told it
            > was probably the humidity. But I live in Marina del Rey, a block from the
            > ocean (which I haven't seen in years), and have never had a problem like
            this

            Yup--I lived in San Diego for 20 years. It's not bone-dry, but no one would
            call it humid.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 11, 2003
              I didn't read your response correctly. Not drying long enough. I dry
              at 150 degress for twelve to fifteen minutes. I did not actually ask
              him about this. How he dried and for how long. Probably should have.
              I've not had to revive a plate, so the idea of the polymer matrix
              absorbing humidity is something I've not had experience with (re
              Elias's comment). Makes sense though.

              Gerald