Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: advice on plate making?

  • chuck sumner
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
      thanks very much for the reply, i never thought to look in the files
      section of this group....

      my questions did all get answered though, i was completely going down the
      wrong path.

      im sure ill have many more questions as i build my own unit...

      thanks again

      chuck

    • Jan Ziegler
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
        Chuck,
        I think you will run into difficulties with light
        refraction as well as registration problems by trying
        to layer up film. With layers light can sneak around
        the toner because the toner is sitting on top of the
        film. The more layers, the more trouble. With one
        layer, you can expose with the toner or emulsion side
        against the plate to avoid this. Success will mostly
        depend on how complex the image is. If it is a big
        blocky image, you should be OK. If it has much detail,
        you will run into problems. I have found that it is
        worth the money for service bureau output, especially
        on a detailed piece where picking up fine lines is
        important. I have heard that certain inkjets have a
        dense enough black to work, but I don't have one and
        have not experimented with inkjet output. Laser
        printer output is pretty weak, as you have already
        discovered. If you are working with any detail like
        small type, multiple layers would be impossible to
        register well enough, plus not worth wasting plate
        material figuring out the correct exposure time. If
        you have good consistent film output, the exposure
        time is more predictable. Then there's the resolution
        issue. The finer the detail, the more important it is
        to use a higher resolution output device. Then there's
        the splatter (I don't know the technical term for what
        happens when the toner hits the film and
        splats--causing tiny spurs), but it happens with laser
        output and not with photographic film output such as
        Linotronic. I don't know about inkjet on this issue.
        But, it comes down to being all about the detail and
        how much you want to keep.
        --Jan

        http://sbc.yahoo.com