Re: [PPLetterpress] advice on plate making?

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
      Chuck:

      You will find a lot of information about this on the PPLetterpress home
      page, I believe in the Files section (Gerald Lange can tell you
      specifically, as he is the site moderator.) To make a very long story very
      short, it can be done, but you must keep in mind that photopolymer is a LOT
      more unforgiving than screen print emulsion.

      You'll also find a lot of information in a book called "Printing in the Sun"
      about using photopolymer plates for printmaking.

      Good luck.

      Katie Harper

      on 7/1/03 3:09 PM, chuck sumner at spam@... wrote:

      > so what im wondering is this: can i use the same multiple laser printed
      > positive strategy to make polymer plates? i wonder if anyone has had any
      > experience making plates like this, or if it would even be possible. do
      > you have to use uv light to expose the plates?
      >
      > i was going to just call na graphics, but this way others can possibly
      > benefit also.
      >
      > thanks
      > chuck

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
      513-233-9588
      http://www.arsbrevispress.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
        Chuck

        I guess I should piggy-back on this, since I seem to be implicated. I
        believe there was some discussion here a while back about multiple
        laser positives. But I suspect there would certainly be alignment
        problems. I may be misunderstanding your question.

        Brian Allen has a pretty good article on alternative processing in the
        Files section. There is also this in the Links section that may be of
        some use to your specific inquiry:

        http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/staff/sherman/printlab/pages/main.html

        There is one question I can definitely answer, I think. Yes, you do
        need UV light to process photopolymer.

        Keep at us.

        Gerald

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Katie Harper <knharper@f...> wrote:
        > Chuck:
        >
        > You will find a lot of information about this on the PPLetterpress home
        > page, I believe in the Files section (Gerald Lange can tell you
        > specifically, as he is the site moderator.) To make a very long
        story very
        > short, it can be done, but you must keep in mind that photopolymer
        is a LOT
        > more unforgiving than screen print emulsion.
        >
        > You'll also find a lot of information in a book called "Printing in
        the Sun"
        > about using photopolymer plates for printmaking.
        >
        > Good luck.
        >
        > Katie Harper
        >
        > on 7/1/03 3:09 PM, chuck sumner at spam@2... wrote:
        >

        > > so what im wondering is this: can i use the same multiple laser
        printed
        > > positive strategy to make polymer plates? i wonder if anyone has
        had any
        > > experience making plates like this, or if it would even be
        possible. do
        > > you have to use uv light to expose the plates?
        > >
        > > i was going to just call na graphics, but this way others can possibly
        > > benefit also.
        > >
        > > thanks
        > > chuck
        > >

        > Katie Harper
        > Ars Brevis Press
        > Cincinnati, OH
        > 513-233-9588
        > http://www.arsbrevispress.com
      • chuck sumner
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
          thanks very much for the reply, i never thought to look in the files
          section of this group....

          my questions did all get answered though, i was completely going down the
          wrong path.

          im sure ill have many more questions as i build my own unit...

          thanks again

          chuck

        • Jan Ziegler
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
            Chuck,
            I think you will run into difficulties with light
            refraction as well as registration problems by trying
            to layer up film. With layers light can sneak around
            the toner because the toner is sitting on top of the
            film. The more layers, the more trouble. With one
            layer, you can expose with the toner or emulsion side
            against the plate to avoid this. Success will mostly
            depend on how complex the image is. If it is a big
            blocky image, you should be OK. If it has much detail,
            you will run into problems. I have found that it is
            worth the money for service bureau output, especially
            on a detailed piece where picking up fine lines is
            important. I have heard that certain inkjets have a
            dense enough black to work, but I don't have one and
            have not experimented with inkjet output. Laser
            printer output is pretty weak, as you have already
            discovered. If you are working with any detail like
            small type, multiple layers would be impossible to
            register well enough, plus not worth wasting plate
            material figuring out the correct exposure time. If
            you have good consistent film output, the exposure
            time is more predictable. Then there's the resolution
            issue. The finer the detail, the more important it is
            to use a higher resolution output device. Then there's
            the splatter (I don't know the technical term for what
            happens when the toner hits the film and
            splats--causing tiny spurs), but it happens with laser
            output and not with photographic film output such as
            Linotronic. I don't know about inkjet on this issue.
            But, it comes down to being all about the detail and
            how much you want to keep.
            --Jan

            http://sbc.yahoo.com