advice on plate making?

  • chuck sumner
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
      hi all,
      ive been doing some searching on google and in the letpress archives for
      some high level overview of how to make polymer plates, and havent found
      what im looking for, so i pose it here to the experts.

      ive done a lot of silk screening over the years, and the way ive created
      my positives is by laser printing onto transparencies. this wont produce a
      solid enough fill, so i usually have to print three, along with alignment
      marks. ive gotten pretty good at lining them up and taping the together by
      cutting off progressively larger corners in a pyramid type layout. I then
      place them on the emulsion with a piece of glass on top to keep them flat.
      the emulsion i use allows me to burn a screen with a 150 watt flood bulb
      in 5 minutes like this.

      so what im wondering is this: can i use the same multiple laser printed
      positive strategy to make polymer plates? i wonder if anyone has had any
      experience making plates like this, or if it would even be possible. do
      you have to use uv light to expose the plates?

      i was going to just call na graphics, but this way others can possibly
      benefit also.

      thanks
      chuck
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
        Chuck:

        You will find a lot of information about this on the PPLetterpress home
        page, I believe in the Files section (Gerald Lange can tell you
        specifically, as he is the site moderator.) To make a very long story very
        short, it can be done, but you must keep in mind that photopolymer is a LOT
        more unforgiving than screen print emulsion.

        You'll also find a lot of information in a book called "Printing in the Sun"
        about using photopolymer plates for printmaking.

        Good luck.

        Katie Harper

        on 7/1/03 3:09 PM, chuck sumner at spam@... wrote:

        > so what im wondering is this: can i use the same multiple laser printed
        > positive strategy to make polymer plates? i wonder if anyone has had any
        > experience making plates like this, or if it would even be possible. do
        > you have to use uv light to expose the plates?
        >
        > i was going to just call na graphics, but this way others can possibly
        > benefit also.
        >
        > thanks
        > chuck

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588
        http://www.arsbrevispress.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
          Chuck

          I guess I should piggy-back on this, since I seem to be implicated. I
          believe there was some discussion here a while back about multiple
          laser positives. But I suspect there would certainly be alignment
          problems. I may be misunderstanding your question.

          Brian Allen has a pretty good article on alternative processing in the
          Files section. There is also this in the Links section that may be of
          some use to your specific inquiry:

          http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/staff/sherman/printlab/pages/main.html

          There is one question I can definitely answer, I think. Yes, you do
          need UV light to process photopolymer.

          Keep at us.

          Gerald

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
            thanks very much for the reply, i never thought to look in the files
            section of this group....

            my questions did all get answered though, i was completely going down the
            wrong path.

            im sure ill have many more questions as i build my own unit...

            thanks again

            chuck

          • Jan Ziegler
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
              Chuck,
              I think you will run into difficulties with light
              refraction as well as registration problems by trying
              to layer up film. With layers light can sneak around
              the toner because the toner is sitting on top of the
              film. The more layers, the more trouble. With one
              layer, you can expose with the toner or emulsion side
              against the plate to avoid this. Success will mostly
              depend on how complex the image is. If it is a big
              blocky image, you should be OK. If it has much detail,
              you will run into problems. I have found that it is
              worth the money for service bureau output, especially
              on a detailed piece where picking up fine lines is
              important. I have heard that certain inkjets have a
              dense enough black to work, but I don't have one and
              have not experimented with inkjet output. Laser
              printer output is pretty weak, as you have already
              discovered. If you are working with any detail like
              small type, multiple layers would be impossible to
              register well enough, plus not worth wasting plate
              material figuring out the correct exposure time. If
              you have good consistent film output, the exposure
              time is more predictable. Then there's the resolution
              issue. The finer the detail, the more important it is
              to use a higher resolution output device. Then there's
              the splatter (I don't know the technical term for what
              happens when the toner hits the film and
              splats--causing tiny spurs), but it happens with laser
              output and not with photographic film output such as
              Linotronic. I don't know about inkjet on this issue.
              But, it comes down to being all about the detail and
              how much you want to keep.
              --Jan

              http://sbc.yahoo.com