Re: [PPLetterpress] I should be so insecure.... hummm

  • Fritz Klinke
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2003
      Yes, I went from listening to Joan Baez sing at our high school sock hops,
      before she took up war protest songs, to a Secret clearance at Lockheed
      working on the Polaris/Poseidon missile systems. But you see, we had many of
      the manuals used by the submarine crews set on Monotypes at Holmes
      Typography in San Jose, so hot metal was being used in the cold war. It gave
      me great satisfaction that machines made in the 1920s and 30s were
      supporting technology that could place a bomb down a chimney, and that was
      35 years ago. I got stuck on letterpress back then and I'm still here and
      all that stuff I worked on in the defense industry still cranks out jobs and
      incomes, and stirred the great technological advances that we all enjoy, but
      deride when it comes to our favorite toy, be it letterpress, steam engines,
      or the fountain pen.

      Fritz