Re: Photopolymer-optimization thread

  • harold@boxcarpress.com
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 20, 2001
      Gerald: I think that you might underestimate the number of
      people who modify a font in Fontographer before printing it with
      polymer. I know at least four other printers, myself included, who
      use Fontographer regularly before making negs.

      > Why not make up a polymer plate using a film negative with
      several rules of
      > known size, e.g. 1pt, 2pt, or 1mm, 2mm, and some text, and
      print it so that
      > the text comes out as you want it. Measuring the result should
      give us an...

      Justin: It seems to me that every project has a different degree of
      spread. One has to take into account the paper, the ink, the
      moisture of the paper, packing.

      A P-optimized font would be a much better starting point for us
      than one engineered for offset printing, but I hope its creator
      would not try to do too many mathematical studies of ink gain
      (unless he or she had a research grant to study this). When
      adjusting fonts, I'm always happy after educated guesses, test
      sheets, and lots of proofing.

      Harold
      www.boxcarpress.com
    • Hrant H Papazian
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 21, 2002
        From: Gerald Lange
        > Hrant's dogged pursuit is raging over at the type-design list

        Notably sans Hrant... "'I like to watch', he said."

        From: "author50401"
        > 18 micron = 0.0007086614 inch

        That's so embarassing. And to think that I have a minor
        in Math... A micron is 10^-6 *meters*, not centimeters. :-/

        This is great news. Dwiggins, Justin, and
        now that guy are all in the same ballpark.

        hhp