Philosophy 101?

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 26, 2003
      This talk about what it takes (on all levels) to get involved with
      letterpress is fascinating, if a bit sobering. I have to say I admire Jan's
      comebacks in the midst of this barrage of "wake up and smell the coffee"
      talk. What intrigues me about all this is how it relates to my current book
      project, "A Letterpress Odyssey," (I'm trying to figure out a way to get
      some of this talk into the book (names excluded, of course); would any of
      you mind ??) which is about a few representative samples of those of us who
      have followed our bliss to letterpress, despite all the logic to the
      contrary. As Gray Zeitz, one of our subjects and the owner of Larkspur Press
      in Kentucky, put it, "letterpress is addicting." We do it because, as most
      of us would admit in our heart of hearts, this is what we were put on the
      earth to do. (I say the same thing about book arts, another of the least
      lucrative art forms...) I have trouble explaining my calling to my non-
      printer friends. ("Let's see, you were put on the earth to set type letter
      by letter because you did WHAT in a previous lifetime?")

      Jan, all this feels like cold water being thrown in your face, but the truth
      is that we all understand the bug that you have, and we support you. Instead
      of more cold water, I have the best idea yet: I'll move to Santa Barbara and
      set up shop with you! I'll bring the Vandercooks if you bring the
      Heidelberg! Maybe we won't do greeting cards, if that market is saturated
      and requires swimming with the sharks. Maybe we'll do explore other untapped
      markets (I won't give away all my secrets right now...) Maybe we'll get a
      photocopier and put up a sign that says "Kinkos" in front and keep this
      stuff in the back room...

      Katie

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
      513-233-9588
      http://www.arsbrevispress.com
    • Jan Ziegler
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 26, 2003
        Katie, great idea, lets set up shop here in SB and we
        can swim with the dolphins, they are suppose to be
        good shark repellent.

        But seriously, I think I will take everyone's advice:
        I will call it a hobby, like Mark says, and just print
        for awhile, have fun, and see what comes of it. I will
        probably buy a Vandercook, as Gerald says, I will go
        to the show in New York next May to see what others
        are doing. And by the way James, thanks for explaining
        price point, I suspected it was the price the market
        will bear. And I wondered if 50% discount is what
        wholesalers want.

        The part of learning the letterpress I need to slow
        down on is the business end. That and purchasing a
        press that is too big and scary to be fun anymore.

        I'm not dampened, I'm inspired, and I feel better
        about my level of committment. Thank you for all of
        your input. I'm really glad I asked. Plus I enjoyed
        our philosophy 101 class. Its good to get back to the
        basics sometimes. I hope Katie can use some of it in
        her book. Now I have to get back to work on my danged
        computer and make some money so I can afford my new
        hobby. --Jan

        Katie wrote:
        > > Jan, all this feels like cold water being thrown
        in
        > your face, but the truth
        > is that we all understand the bug that you have, and
        > we support you. Instead
        > of more cold water, I have the best idea yet: I'll
        > move to Santa Barbara and
        > set up shop with you! I'll bring the Vandercooks if
        > you bring the
        > Heidelberg! Maybe we won't do greeting cards, if
        > that market is saturated
        > and requires swimming with the sharks. Maybe we'll
        > do explore other untapped
        > markets (I won't give away all my secrets right
        > now...) Maybe we'll get a
        > photocopier and put up a sign that says "Kinkos" in
        > front and keep this
        > stuff in the back room...
        >
        > Katie
        >

        > Katie Harper
        > Ars Brevis Press
        > Cincinnati, OH
        > 513-233-9588
        > http://www.arsbrevispress.com

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • The Indian Hill Press
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 26, 2003
          >Jan, all this feels like cold water being thrown in your face, but the truth
          >is that we all understand the bug that you have, and we support you.

          With Independence Day weekend almost upon us, may I remind all
          concerned that a squirt bottle of cold water is an indispensable
          accessory to anyone grilling with wood chips or charcoal? An
          occasional spritz helps control overheating, allows your fuel to last
          longer, and yields a smoky, more flavorful meal.

          In advising caution, James and Fritz and I are only trying to make
          your letterpress experience as succulent as possible.

          Dan Waters
          Indian Hill Press
        • thronobulx@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 26, 2003
            Jan: The retailers really want a 100% discount, but I wouldn't suggest it.
            James